Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by blazingwolf7 <bl...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/07 10:22:19 UTC

How effcient is IndexReader?

Hi,

I want to use a Reader to read a document everytime a matching document is
found during search time. So basically, everytime during the calculation of
the score for a document, I will use the reader and retrieve some
information from the index. Will this lower the searching performance?

I mean, the file involve will be millions. Will this way be efficient or
should I find some other way to retreive this information?

Re: How effcient is IndexReader?

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
If the thing you are retrieving per doc is a stored field or a term
vector, and you're talking about millions of docs, this will likely be
too slow, unless your entire index can fit in the OS's IO cache.

This use case is probably a good fit for column-stride fields:

... which is still in progress.

Mike