Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2008/02/02 06:19:06 UTC

[POLL] 2.1 Documentation (NEED YOUR FEEDBACK)

Hi All, issuing an all points community bulletin!

If you've ever asked a question and gotten and answer, now is your
time to give back a little something :)

We have a list of things to document so long that even a thousand
monkeys with typewriters couldn't create it.  We need you to tell us
what you want so we create what you need.  So here's the poll:

  [poll]  What are the top 5 (or more) things, in order, you want
documented?

Below is a list of candidates (thank you Hernan!), feel free to add
your own items.

This information is critical for our ability to keep the project
focused to your needs and it will be a tremendous help -- even a 5
minute reply is extremely useful.  We'll hold the poll open for a week
(7 days), please respond in that time if you can.  After that time
we'll compile the results and put them on our website.  As we complete
items on the compiled list we'll send out notifications here so you
can review and comment.  And as always, if you'd like to contribute in
the documenting itself, you're very welcome to join in the fun;
there's an open door policy on the project at large.

We really do hope to hear from everyone and thank you all in advance!

-David

[possible candidates]
* What's new in 2.1?
** New features
** Component versions
** Configuration changes
** Backwards compatibility

* Geronimo architecture
** GBeans
** Subprojects
** Components
*** Distributions
** Repositories
** Configuration
** Customize the server

* Installation
** Planning
** Binary
** Source
** Configuration
*** Ports interaction
*** Repositories
*** Logging
*** Security

* Deployment
** What changed?
** New deployment options
*** Command line - standard
*** Command line - GShell
*** Plugins
*** Console
  **** Deployment plan wizard

* Geronimo Administration Console
** What changed?
** Console enhancements
** The pluggable console
** Expert mode
** Deployment plans wizard
** CA helper

* GShell
** What is it?
** Benefits
** What it does/replaces
** Tools and commands
** How-to samples

* Monitoring
** What is it?
** What can I monitor
** Impact on the server workload?
** Install
** Customization

* Pluggable console
** What is it?
** Benefits
** Architecture
** Install/deploy
** Customization
** Developing new portlets

* Plugin infrastructure
** What are the plugins?
** Enhancements from previous releases
** Plugin infrastructure/architecture
** plugin.xml
** Plugins install
** Pluggable console
** GShell commands option

* Security
** Enhancements
** Planning
** Configuration

* Tooling
** Devtools
*** Geronimo eclipse plugin
** j2g

* Clustering

* Sample applications

* Tutorials

Re: [POLL] 2.1 Documentation (NEED YOUR FEEDBACK)

Posted by xulz <lu...@gmail.com>.
unsubcribe

Re: [POLL] 2.1 Documentation (NEED YOUR FEEDBACK)

Posted by Vasily Zakharov <vm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, David,

>   [poll]  What are the top 5 (or more) things, in order, you want
> documented?

Here're some points I think are important:

> * Geronimo architecture
> ** GBeans
> ** Repositories
> ** Configuration
> ** Customize the server

> * Installation
> ** Configuration
> *** Logging

> * What's new in 2.1?
> ** New features
> ** Configuration changes

> * Geronimo Administration Console
> ** Expert mode

> * GShell
> ** What is it?

> * Monitoring
> ** What is it?

> * Pluggable console
> ** What is it?

Thank you and the Geronimo team very much!

Vasily

Re: [POLL] 2.1 Documentation (NEED YOUR FEEDBACK)

Posted by ciAnd7 <ci...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

David Blevins wrote:

>   [poll]  What are the top 5 (or more) things, in order, you want
> documented?

---------
* What's new in 2.1?
** New features