Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Alex Holst <a...@mongers.org> on 2004/10/06 15:39:59 UTC

Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'

I found a single reference to this issue in the archives, dating back to
2001. The problem was fixed then but now I'm seeing it here:

        miracle$ uname -a
        OpenBSD miracle.mongers.org 3.4 GENERIC#18 i386
        miracle$ svn --version
        svn, version 1.1.0 (r11180)
           compiled Sep 30 2004, 16:04:08
        [..]

Attempts to checkout or list the svn repository fails:

        miracle$ svn ls http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
        svn: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'

Attempts to checkout or list the asf repository works:

        miracle$ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
        avalon/
        cocoon/
        commons/
        [..]

tcpdump capture of the failed 'ls' session available here:
http://a.mongers.org/x/svn.trace

There are no proxies between miracle and the rest of the world.

The above situation happens to all users on the host. I have svn 1.1
running perfectly on another OpenBSD system.

miracle itself acts as a svn+ssh repository, and the svn binary can
access file:// repositories on the local host.

Any thoughts before I file a bug?

--
I prefer the dark of the night, after midnight and before four-thirty,
when it's more bare, more hollow.                http://a.mongers.org

Re: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 12:19:59AM -0700, Ben Reser wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:39:59PM +0200, Alex Holst wrote:
> > tcpdump capture of the failed 'ls' session available here:
> > http://a.mongers.org/x/svn.trace
> >
> > There are no proxies between miracle and the rest of the world.
> >
> > The above situation happens to all users on the host. I have svn 1.1
> > running perfectly on another OpenBSD system.
> >
> > miracle itself acts as a svn+ssh repository, and the svn binary can
> > access file:// repositories on the local host.
> >
> > Any thoughts before I file a bug?
>
> Take a look at that trace in Ethereal, this is the TCP stream:
>
> PROPFIND /repos/svn HTTP/1.1
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status
> Dat

Pass -s0 to tcpdump otherwise it only saves the first 68 bytes of each
packet.

joe

Re: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:39:59PM +0200, Alex Holst wrote:
> I found a single reference to this issue in the archives, dating back to
> 2001. The problem was fixed then but now I'm seeing it here:
>
>         miracle$ uname -a
>         OpenBSD miracle.mongers.org 3.4 GENERIC#18 i386
>         miracle$ svn --version
>         svn, version 1.1.0 (r11180)
>            compiled Sep 30 2004, 16:04:08
>         [..]
>
> Attempts to checkout or list the svn repository fails:
>
>         miracle$ svn ls http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
>         svn: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'
>
> Attempts to checkout or list the asf repository works:
>
>         miracle$ svn ls http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
>         avalon/
>         cocoon/
>         commons/
>         [..]
>
> tcpdump capture of the failed 'ls' session available here:
> http://a.mongers.org/x/svn.trace
>
> There are no proxies between miracle and the rest of the world.
>
> The above situation happens to all users on the host. I have svn 1.1
> running perfectly on another OpenBSD system.
>
> miracle itself acts as a svn+ssh repository, and the svn binary can
> access file:// repositories on the local host.
>
> Any thoughts before I file a bug?

Take a look at that trace in Ethereal, this is the TCP stream:

PROPFIND /repos/svn HTTP/1.1
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="HTTP/1.1 207 Multi-Status
Dat

Your outbound PROPFIND is cut off way short.  And so is the reply back
from the server.

I smell transport failure.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Alex Holst wrote:
> I found a single reference to this issue in the archives, dating back to
> 2001. The problem was fixed then but now I'm seeing it here:
[...]
>         miracle$ svn ls http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
>         svn: Failed to find label 'NULL' for URL '/repos/svn'
[...]
> The above situation happens to all users on the host. I have svn 1.1
> running perfectly on another OpenBSD system.
[...]
> Any thoughts before I file a bug?

It is not appropriate to file a report in the issue tracker until we can reproduce the problem.

Are you saying that you have two machines running the same OS and the same Subversion, and one has the problem and the other does not?  Can you not see any differences between the two machines that might be relevant?

- Julian