Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Galen M O'Sullivan <go...@pivotal.io> on 2017/03/08 22:08:04 UTC

[VOTE] Marking Redis Adapter as Experimental

Hi all,

I think that we should mark the Redis adapter as experimental. This
functionality comes from the initial code grant from GemFire. It is
mentioned in the "Experimental" section of the GemFire docs [1], and as far
as I can tell, the only reason it hasn't been marked as experimental in
Geode is because no one put the annotation on when the @Experimental tag
was introduced.

The Redis adapter's performance on collection operations is pretty bad
(think 1% of Redis on a single-server configuration), and there are some
bugs outstanding (for example, [2]), so I don't think it's really ready for
general use.

What do you all think? Is anyone out there using the Redis adapter? Should
it be considered breaking to change it just because it's been released when
it wasn't marked experimental? Should we just go ahead and change it
already?

Thanks,
Galen

[1]: http://gemfire.docs.pivotal.io/geode/tools_modules/redis_adapter.html
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-2473

Re: [VOTE] Marking Redis Adapter as Experimental

Posted by Wayne Lund <wl...@pivotal.io>.
+1.  Good to know.  I was just talking to a potential customer this morning that’s intent on replacing voldemort with an IMDG and wanting to merge whatever solution with their current Redis use cases.  If its not ready I want to make sure I’m not giving bad information.

Wayne Lund
Advisory Platform Architect
916.296.1893
wlund@pivotal.io

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.
Based on some other recent discussions about the Redis adaptor, I would
agree this makes sense.

I don't believe its usage has been well tested or proven yet by its
intended audience.

Greg Chase

Product team
http://www.pivotal.io/big-data

Pivotal Software
http://www.pivotal.io/

650-215-0477
@GregChase
Blog: http://geekmarketing.biz/

Re: [VOTE] Marking Redis Adapter as Experimental

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Galen M O'Sullivan <go...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Galen M O'Sullivan <go...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.