Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by SPAM TRAP <sp...@vianw.pt> on 2004/03/15 02:12:50 UTC

[users@httpd] Can't open files bigger than 0.5kb

Hello.

The problem:

- the biggest file I was able to download from server was 536 bytes, when
accessing through <http://localhost>http://localhost.

- When I try with ip address / url, it gets even worse and the biggest one
was 270 bytes...

- When accessing directory index, some icons even don't show up.

My system:

- Win2k, updated

- Pentium III 700mhz

- 512 mb SD-Ram

- Hard drive #1: Wester Digital 200GB
- Hard drive #2: Fujitsu 8GB

- ADSL 512/128kbs

- Router/modem Draytek Vigor 2500we (wireless)

- My computer is wireless connected to the router

- There's a total of three computer on the network, all wireless connected
to the router.

- Public port 80 is redirected to my computer port 80

- You can access the server at
<http://scientia.dyndns.org>http://scientia.dyndns.org

All my steps since first install:

- When I first intalled apache (HD#1), everything worked ok. I played a bit
with configuration file, and I decided to reinstall Apache on another hard
drive (HD#2), just used for servers and for backup.

- After uninstalling and reinstalling apache, the problem started to show
up, even without touching anything on httpd.conf (fresh config file, I
discarded the one from the first install). I think it was even worse than
now, because I couldn't even open the default apache welcome page. It was
just possible to browse index of /.

- I still didn't note that could be a problem, so I kept playing with the
config and created an account for Apache, as recomended here
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.htm>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.htm,
in "Running Apache as a service". It worked ok (I was able to browse index
of /, while not being able to open "big" files).

- I thought it could be something with the hard drive where I installed
(HD#2), so reinstalled again into the disk where I first tried Apache (HD#1).

- The problem persists, no matter how many times or where I install.

What I already tried:

- Reinstalling Apache several times

- Disabled the DOS protection in router firewall

- Put my computer in DMZ

- Couldn't find any usefull information about this issue

- In access.log, there are a few transfers with 206 http error code. As far
as I know, that error means the user aborted the transfer. I was the user
and I didn't cancel anything. Can it be the server?

- When I start the server, the error log just shows some notices, nothing
important I think. However, after accessing the server for the first time
(index of /), the following line appears in the log:

[Sun Mar 14 12:40:05 2004] [error] [client 192.168.1.10] File does not
exist: I:/Apache2/htdocs/favicon.ico

Miscellaneous info:

- I'm a newbie, speaking about servers
- My main language is Portuguese, I'm sorry for any english errors
- This server is only for learning purposes
- I'm considering reinstalling win2k, because it is a litle unstable and
slow, but I would like to learn what the problem is before doing that.

Thank you very much for your time.

[users@httpd] Re: Can't open files bigger than 0.5kb

Posted by Ed Suominen <ge...@eepatents.com>.
Try setting your MTU=1492 in the Internet-connected NIC with "ifconfig eth0
mtu 1492" (if eth0 is the one).

--
Ed Suominen
Registered Patent Agent

Re: [users@httpd] Finding correct open ssl files...

Posted by Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
Geoff Hartman wrote:
> Any advice would be helpful :)
>
> Here are my errors:
> checking for SSL/TLS toolkit base... /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7c
> checking for SSL/TLS toolkit version... unknown
> checking for SSL/TLS toolkit includes...
> /usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7c/include
> checking for SSL/TLS toolkit libraries... configure: error: OpenSSL
> libraries not found
>
> here is my config line:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=all --enable-ssl --en
> able-so --with-ssl=/usr/local/src/openssl-0.9.7c

Just pointing Apache to the source of openssl will not help.  You first
need to compile openssl and then point apache at the install root
specified with the make command (usually the "--prefix" location).

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

[users@httpd] Finding correct open ssl files...

RE: [users@httpd] Can't open files bigger than 0.5kb

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
I could get access to any file and downloaded without any problems accessing
via: <http://scientia.dyndns.org>

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436
email:schalk@volume4.co.za
web: www.volume4.com

confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party
without the permission of the sender. If you received this message in error,
please notify me immediately so that I can correct and delete the original
email. Thank you.

:: - the biggest file I was able to download from server was 536 bytes, when
:: accessing through <http://localhost>http://localhost.
::
[...]
:: The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server
Project.
:: See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
:: For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org