Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/10/05 12:48:14 UTC

How about a summary of what you're all up to?

Hi all,

Again I noticed my Mail client showed me the usual picture … a 2 digit number of emails in the commit list, and 1 in the dev list.
Would be cool if you could sum up what the team is currently working on.

Are there any new names on the contributor side? You haven’t voted in anyone for quite some time

Chris

Re: How about a summary of what you're all up to?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> overall my impression is that its getting better.

+1 to that and both what Julian and Chris have said. I think the next step is a little more transparency on how how people decided on what issues to work on.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: How about a summary of what you're all up to?

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi,

overall my impression is that its getting better.
Initially it was way calmer here but now there are discussion threads or announcements about features from time to time.
So I totally agree with chris but I also think there is already a learning curve.

So keep it going guys : )

Julian

Am 06.10.19, 15:22 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

    Hi,

    +1 for more discussions, rather than just opening issues, working on them
    and closing them.

    Indeed, there are some discussions for some issues, but we can do more
    about that.
    If the issue is for a new feature, we can show the main idea about how to
    implement it on the mailing list.

    I summarize some new features/improvements we have solved or addressed in
    September according to the mailing list, and github as following with 3
    columns: Feature/imporvement description. status. Is there some discussions?

    (The statistics may be not accurate. Some of the issues have been solved
    but the status of the issues are not changed. Some discussions are on
    github but I do not review the contents of related PRs.)

    - Improvement for LRUCache. Not solved. no discussion.
    - Reimplementation sync module. not solved. no discussion.
    - improving spark-tsfile query for narrow table view. not solved. no
    discussion.
    - Spark-IoTDB connector. not solved. no discussion.
    - maintain hadoop-tsfile module. not solved. no discussion (but the
    contributor pointed out his main idea).
    - load configuration file on-site. not solved. no discussion.
    - connect IoTDB with python or C. not solved. no discussion but there are
    some replies for that.
    - use hive to  query Tsfile data. solved. no discussion.
    - switch Antlr3 to antlr4. Not solved. Some discussions (finally, the
    performance using antlr4 is worse?).
    - enrich session interfaces (using API rather than SQL to operate data) Not
    solved. Some discussions.
    - support saving data file into HDFS directly. Solved. Some discussions.
    - make the result format of metadata query like "show timeseries"
    consistent. solved. no discussion but the contributor keeps updating his
    progress on the mailing list.
    - Create metadata automatically in the insertion. not solved. Some
    discussions.
    - A simple tool to visualize logs. not solved. Some discussions.
    - A new result set format. not solved. no discussion. Some discussions.
    - Add bloom filters to TsFile. not solved. Some discussions.
    - support retention policy (remove stale data automatically). not solved.
    few discussion.
    - Convert Path(String) to ID(Long). not solved. few discussions.
    - support connection pool (e.g., Ali druid).  not solved. few discussion.
    - TsFile skeleton viewer tool. solved. few discussion.
    - support External sort for non-sequential data. solved. some discussions
    on github.

    After reviewing these "discussions", I find that there are few mails for
    discussing the idea of how to implement new features.. which I think is the
    same important with why the feature is needed or how to define the feature.

    In my personal opinion, in the next 3 month (and then 2019 is over...), I
    think there are two important features, distributed version and relational
    model view.

    Best,
    -----------------------------------
    Xiangdong Huang