Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Leif W <wa...@usa.net> on 2005/01/02 22:43:29 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Setting up a virtual host on a stand alone Windows 2000 machine

Well, I didn't intend to start some flame war.  I just hate Windows
because it's nowhere as simple and elegant and robust and easy to use
and powerfull and configurable and straightforward as Linux has been for
me personally and many others over the last decade.  :p  But in any
case, simply having and using a TCP/IP stack to connect to some networks
often necessitates usage of such a tool as "host" for troubleshooting,
regardless if the company sells it as a server or a client machine.  And
furthermore, running a single program which is available on other
operating systems with similar syntax for a specific task takes much
lower learning curve and much less time than reinventing the wheel in a
language, wether or not I pick one with which I am familiar, and then
integrating into an OS'es proprietary object API with which I am not at
all familiar and may not even be available if I didn't get a "server"
version.

However, in any case, thanks for the many references.  That could be
used to develop my own toolkit to make life more bearable when working
with Windows.  There are some networking things I was wondering how to
frob and maybe can do that with some research.  But still, for another
person to make use of such a toolkit, they would have to read many
documents and either reinvent the wheel or download some scripts that
others wrote, which intentionally or unintentionally may or may not be
malicious or broken or unportable between Windows versions and service
packs.  In the end the results of all that effort applies only to
Windows and nothing else in the world.  ;-)

Leif