Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/03/20 12:47:02 UTC

Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - Birt and BI

> L) framework/birt (and related dependencies/reports spread around): move to "Extras"
>
> M) framework/bi (and related dependencies - ecas/business rules and data - spread around): move to "Extras"

This is an area where Hans and I are in disagreement and we didn't get much feedback from others.

So I would like to explain here why I think we should move the Birt component and the Birt reports out of the framework and consider them as optional tools.

There are currently 18 reports in the applications implemented with Birt; but they really seem experiments rather than something really usable; to give you some examples:

* in most of them there is this code like this:

userLogin = null;
try {
    userLogin = delegator.findByPrimaryKey("UserLogin",UtilMisc.toMap("userLoginId","admin"));
} catch(e) {
        Debug.logError(e,"");
}

* all the retrieval logic (scripts) is inlined with layout definition and this is something we try to avoid in all the existing screens
* entity list iterators are not properly closed
* some of the widget based financial reports have been converted to Birt: their layout is still very simple and comparable to the widget based versions available before Birt; so the conversion to Birt added a dependencies on this component without adding real value (the rptdesign files mix together data preparation scripts and ui definitions and in order to maintain them you have to use the Birt designer); also some of them are now broken: Income Stetements, Balance Sheet etc... This is probably caused by the recent refactoring of JSR-223 but the original widget based PDF are still there and are working fine...
* building a report with this Birt integration still requires a lot of development work (similar to the one required to create a screen); but then the code in the rptdesign is very difficult to maintain without the editor

My questions are:
* do you really think that this way of integrating rptdesign reports is the answer to fill the gap of a good reporting tool in OFBiz? Are you actually using this integration for your reports?
* do we all agree to make this Birt integration the best practice mechanism for all OFBiz reports?
* do you really think that we should replace all the existing widget generated reports and FOP reports with rptdesign reports built using the existing Birt integration under the framework?

If any of your answers will be "no" then in my opinion it would be much better to:
1) make Birt integration an optional component, downloaded separately
2) move the existing rptdesign reports out of the applications and keep them in the external Birt component
3) at this point users will have the option to use the Birt component or not, but the ootb code will be clean and without dependencies on it; most of all, we will not deliver reports that looks similar (ugly) but they are implemented randomly with Birt or Widgets
4) start evaluating, as a community, what should be the best practices for ootb reports: what is the tool we want, what are the minimal requirements etc... and then work together to get it in place and then migrate all existing reports to it in order to have a consistent system; if the community will not be able to reach a consensus on this, then we should leave the decision about the reporting tool to use to the end user

I think that the Birt integration is a nice optional component, and I see that there may be interested parties, but in its current status it is not something ready for becoming the primary reporting tool for the ootb applications.

Jacopo

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - Birt and BI

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:43 PM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

> Le 22/03/2012 02:38, Hans Bakker a écrit :
>> Jacopo,
>>
>> you are making here a very negative review of the Birt integration....as
>> any component sure there is room for improvement however....
>>
>> Some positives you did not even notice?
>>
>> 1. can use minilanguage for the retrieval
>> 2. can use ofbiz fieldnames and entity names. (not databasenames)
>> 3. can use OFBiz views.....
>> 4. can fully integrate in the ERP application.
>> 5. has many inbuilt output formats.
>> 6. Incorporates the warehouse entities.

Please note that all the above points are covered also by screens/FOP; and the code in screens/FOP is cleaner and implements the MVC pattern as all the other screens.
You didn't mention the only one reason that really makes meaningful to consider this Birt integration: after you have manually implemented (in the traditional way) controller entries, screens to run the reports and the data preparation code (that needs to be inlined in the Birt report definition) you can use the Birt designer to implement the ui.
This is in my opinion a nice to have for an optional component but not enough to make it the default reporting engine for OFBiz.

>> Created/extended the datawarehouse which is essential for ordereporting.
>> We have very big customers where using order reports directly on the
>> OFBiz database was not possible.
>>
>> This warehouse function is essential for large customers

These ones are not part of the Birt integration but are instead part of the BI framework that I originally designed (and you have expanded): in fact I still see a big potential for this tool, that it is for its nature optional and external to OFBiz (ideally it should run in a separate db) and I really hope to see it more exposed tomore contributors in the future if delivered as an optional application.

>> I very strongly think about keeping this in the framework.
>>
>> BI component I agree, can go....
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>

> I'm in two minds about BIRT. It's a fine tool to make reports, but underused in OFBiz.
> If the concerns Jacopo has about it were resolved, will it be kept in framework ?

In its current status I don't see how this could happen; it was not a good move that some of the ootb reports have been converted to Birt because now we have another technology for reporting that it is not enough to become the primary tool; the reports generated using this tool in its current form are simply not good enough to stay; if we will ever want to deliver with the framework an official tool for reporting then its requirements/features should be carefully evaluated before taking a decision

> Also, creating more of those reports (with not available features in FOP), will this go in the right way to keep it there ?

I don't think that adding more Birt reports to OFBiz to make the OFBiz applications more dependent on this imperfect Birt integration would be the right way to go. Instead we should rather gather all the requirements, design/select the proper tool (Birt of what else) and then integrate it properly and finally convert all the application reports to it. But even if we will reach that point I would see some potential to treat it as an optional/separated tool (but this can be discussed).
In summary my opinion is: for now *this* Birt integration should go to Extras and improved there; interested users will get it from there (together with the reports); if the community thinks we should have a default reporting tool packaged in OFBiz then we will start the architectural/requirement design phase (at that point we could even bring back again some of the existing Birt code, if we think it is the right way to go).

Jacopo

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I think BIRT should be moved to Extras.  The main reasons being:
- we're still not (IMO) giving enough power to the users themselves to create reports
- not every company wants to use BIRT and nor should they have to
- the engine is large, the integration is lightweight and last time I looked the API was pretty poorly documented

IMO the best thing we could do for reporting in OFBiz is to provide some type of HTTP based data provider interface.  Virtually every reporting tool can consume CSV or XML formatted data from web resources and it would allow user's to cut up the data any way they liked via their reporting tool of choice (even something like Excel could be used).  We could consider creating some new entities and a UI for controlling what data can be published and to who, possibly even creating a UI that allows dynamic view entities to be constructed and published.

Even this idea is possible to deploy as a hot-deploy component so doesn't necessarily need to exist in the framework but it's certainly a much more generic and accessible approach than what we have with BIRT (which it should be noted wasn't chosen for it's features but rather because it was the only one with a permissive license for inclusion).

Regards
Scott

On 26/03/2012, at 8:25 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Which is one of reasons to have mostly unused things (not only BIRT) out of OFBiz.
> BTW from this POV the POS is not a problem, since it's not a webapp, it runs only at demand...
>
> Jacques
>
> Anne wrote:
>> Just for the record, we disable the birt container. I don't like loading
>> things I know aren't being used.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Anne.
>>
>> On 23 March 2012 22:33, Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> in the config for base:
>>>
>>> base/config/ofbiz-containers.xml:    <!-- load the BIRT container -->
>>> base/config/ofbiz-containers.xml:    <container name="birt-container"

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Anne.
Perfect.
I think options like this can be made visible through some documentation.
At least inside the code through comments.
I know it's there for BIRT.

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
in the config for base:

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.
+1 to Mansour's comments.

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Le 22/03/2012 04:47, Hans Bakker a écrit :
> Hi Anne,
>
> Birt has several advantages in the current integration and we use it
> often on the warehouse entities. These entities are mostly not in the
> BI component but in the application components.
>
> Jasper reports and all others do not use the ofbiz framework but work
> on the JDBC driver directly or even worse only work on mysql or are
> mostly commercial.
Just to correct this, Birt is integrate currently in OFBiz (and tks a
lot for the work :) ), but jasper to if you load the interface. By
default you can use JDBC driver with these tools, put all have an api to
integrate it. Last time we work on integration with open office, it's
just a data preparation by the technical interface. If Birt move on
extra, a goal will be the simplify integration between service engine
and report layer.

Nicolas

--
Nicolas MALIN
Consultant

Re: Lose Weight Program for OFBiz - Birt and BI

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Anne,

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
sure...but then i do not understand your comment...where do i indicate
there is a dependency from the framework on an application? Warehouse
entities are stored in the application?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Currently, rptdesign is used in specialpurpose applications like ebaystore
and scrum, but also in core applications (accounting, order and product).
We have to provide reports in our applications, as it would be difficult to
maintain the concept of  completeness of functionality without them.
Endusers requirements always dictate some kind of reports in applications.

I prefer to have a working solution ootb in OFBiz. Birt delivers that at
the moment.

Removing it creates another proposition issue (on top of all the others we
can think of why OFBiz is hard to sell).

Replacing it by something else would dictate roadmapping.

Regards,

Pierre

Op 20 maart 2012 12:47 schreef Jacopo Cappellato <
jacopo.cappellato@hotwaxmedia.com> het volgende:

Posted by Nicolas Malin <ma...@librenberry.net>.
Le 20/03/2012 12:47, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>> L) framework/birt (and related dependencies/reports spread around): move to "Extras"
>>
>> M) framework/bi (and related dependencies - ecas/business rules and data - spread around): move to "Extras"
>>
> This is an area where Hans and I are in disagreement and we didn't get much feedback from others.
>
> So I would like to explain here why I think we should move the Birt component and the Birt reports out of the framework and consider them as optional tools.
>
> There are currently 18 reports in the applications implemented with Birt; but they really seem experiments rather than something really usable; to give you some examples:
>
> * in most of them there is this code like this:
>
> userLogin = null;
> try {
>      userLogin = delegator.findByPrimaryKey("UserLogin",UtilMisc.toMap("userLoginId","admin"));
> } catch(e) {
>          Debug.logError(e,"");
> }
>
> * all the retrieval logic (scripts) is inlined with layout definition and this is something we try to avoid in all the existing screens
> * entity list iterators are not properly closed
> * some of the widget based financial reports have been converted to Birt: their layout is still very simple and comparable to the widget based versions available before Birt; so the conversion to Birt added a dependencies on this component without adding real value (the rptdesign files mix together data preparation scripts and ui definitions and in order to maintain them you have to use the Birt designer); also some of them are now broken: Income Stetements, Balance Sheet etc... This is probably caused by the recent refactoring of JSR-223 but the original widget based PDF are still there and are working fine...
> * building a report with this Birt integration still requires a lot of development work (similar to the one required to create a screen); but then the code in the rptdesign is very difficult to maintain without the editor
>
> My questions are:
> * do you really think that this way of integrating rptdesign reports is the answer to fill the gap of a good reporting tool in OFBiz? Are you actually using this integration for your reports?
> * do we all agree to make this Birt integration the best practice mechanism for all OFBiz reports?
> * do you really think that we should replace all the existing widget generated reports and FOP reports with rptdesign reports built using the existing Birt integration under the framework?
Currently, we work on a POC to use content for reporting, the report
mechanism is selected by the template type. We implement our first
reports with openoffice but I don't see blocking to use birt, jasper or
other. With this methods, all report engine can move on Extras and when
you deploy, you select for specific report the content thus the desired
engine.

My vision : by default Apache OFBiz embed Xsl-fo and when you download a
other report engine, it give some example and standard content reporting.

+1 to move birt in extras :)

Posted by Olivier Heintz <ho...@nereide.biz>.
+1 birt to extra
and there will also a jasperReport in extras

Posted by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 birt to Extra.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
We could include a metadata interface that external reporting tools to
can use to generate reports.

-Adrian

Posted by Divesh Dutta <di...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
+1 for Adrian.

Posted by Anne <an...@cohsoft.com.au>.
+1 for Birt to extras.

Most of the useful reports OOTB are currently fo.

+1 to JasperReports in extras. I'm happy to volunteer for that one.

Cheers,
Anne.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Olivier Heintz" <ho...@nereide.biz>