Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Ruben Q L <ru...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/01 11:17:19 UTC

Draft: board report for 2022 Q1

Hello,

Below these lines you can find a draft of this quarter's board report. I
plan to submit it
at the beginning of next week.
Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (6 years ago).
There are currently 56 committers and 23 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Ruben Q L on 2020-08-10.
- No new committers. Last addition was Alessandro Solimando on 2021-12-17.

## Project Activity:
Calcite 1.30.0 was released on 2022-03-20, it contains contributions from 29
authors, and resolves 36 issues. Among others, it is worth highlighting the
following: Babel parser support MySQL NULL-safe equal operator <=>; support
SQL hints for temporal table join; fluent test fixtures so that dependent
projects can write parser, validator and rules tests; and fix for
vulnerability issue CVE-2021-27568.

Apache Calcite Avatica Go 5.1.0 was released on 2022-03-27, it is a
maintenance release of Avatica Go with dependency updates and some minor bug
fixes.

## Community Health:
The overall activity in the community has increased significantly on the dev
email list, which had a 137% increase in traffic in the past quarter (841
emails compared to 354). Many of these threads were new or recently joined
community members asking technical questions or requesting code reviews for
their first contributions, which suggests that Apache Calcite is being used
more broadly by increasingly more projects. On the contrary, the activity on
Jira and Github has decreased (-36% / -34% issues opened / closed in the
former; -24% / -23% PRs opened / closed in the latter). This could be
explained in part by the development pause during winter vacation and/or a
particularly long code freeze period that was required in order to produce
several RCs before Calcite 1.30.0 was released.

Apart from that, there was a
small virtual key signing party; and it is being discussed to organize these
events on a more regular basis to expand the web of trust within the
project.

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 1                   | 16                  |
| 2022                | 2                   | 10                  |
| 2022                | 3                   | 4                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2022                | 1                   | 7                   |
| 2022                | 2                   | 5                   |
| 2022                | 3                   | 3                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top reviewers in the last 3 months:
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+
|                          committer                           | reviews |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>                               | 8       |
| Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>                      | 8       |
| NobiGo <no...@gmail.com>                                 | 6       |
| Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>        | 2       |
| rubenada <ru...@gmail.com>                                 | 1       |
| Feng Zhu <we...@gmail.com>                             | 1       |
| XuQianJin-Stars <fo...@apache.com>                       | 1       |
| yuzhao.cyz <yu...@gmail.com>                            | 1       |
| Andrei Sereda <25...@users.noreply.github.com> | 1       |
| Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>                          | 1       |
+--------------------------------------------------------------+---------+

Re: Draft: board report for 2022 Q1

Posted by Francis Chuang <fr...@apache.org>.
+1 Looks great, Ruben!

Posted by xiong duan <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruben,

Posted by Haisheng Yuan <hy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alessandro Solimando <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruben,
thanks for preparing the draft, it already looks good to me as-is.

Best regards,
Alessandro