Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by il...@speakeasy.net on 2005/09/07 01:49:05 UTC

EventListeners

I'm trying to do something with log4j and it occurs that I might not
understand it enough to know if I'm heading down the right path...

I want a single server that listens on a port for UDP log messages from
various sources.  That server will parse these messages and do various
things accordingly (including writing to a data base).

I have the client side sending messages using UDPAppender and that
works nicely.  Where I'm having problems at is on the server side.

I've been playing with the example SocketServer under log4j.net and I
have UDPReceiver as a plugin (thank you Scott), but I can't get at the
actual LoggingEvents to directly manipulate them.  I'm at the point of
looking at the SocketEventListener to see if it makes sense to have a
separate listener capturiing the logging events, but at this point I'm
beginning to wonder just how far astray I've gone from the way the api
is SUPPOSED to be used.

At this point I'm not using Chainsaw and I'm not yet using DBAppenders.

Any advice is welcome, including "You can't get there from here."
/ErikAnthony