Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Toni Menzel <to...@rebaze.com> on 2014/06/23 13:13:42 UTC

State of Storm on OSGi (somehow related to recent micro services questions)

Hi there,

Luciano G. Santos recent question on this list titled "Micro-services with
Storm" triggers complementary OSGi Services based solution in my head.
I do not want to hijack his thread so i start a new one. But i think his
ideas are corelated to what i am asking for.
For OSGi Services vs. MIcro Services, a best read is Paul Bakkers [2].
I am fairly new to Storm myself but an old ambassador on OSGi for years.
So i would to ask the community here: whats the status of Storm with an
osgi kernel?
Quick googleing shows:
- Ryan Moquins https://github.com/rmoquin/storm-osgi
- this discussion on the mailinglist april 2013:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/storm-user/_nwzGMfqBAM/6SsbXBHW6u0J

Why OSGi? Well what you are asking for is a runtime that can mess with
classloaders on order to provide and consume small services (hence micro
services, also read [1]).
OSGi is the only proven and well understood standard for java modularity
which is the foundation for what you actually asked for. Many JEE Server
implementations are using an OSGi kernel under the hood these days, so its
basically well testet for creating platforms. (hence it is, in my oppinion,
not well suited for the end-user consumption even though developer tools
are getting better every month).
So what i am right now looking at is a proper runtime for those "hey here
is a jar and you can deploy the job/topology on hadoop/storm" scenarios.
Because right now they all work on a process level killing anything finer
grained (like what you asked for). Or they do classloader hell themselves
which is even worse.
Might all be too opinionated but maybe someone from storm core steps up and
explains my why this is a stupid idea.  ;)

Cheers,
Toni

[1] http://blog.osgi.org/2010/03/services.html
[2]