Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Robin Berjon <ro...@expway.fr> on 2002/10/25 19:55:25 UTC

Change the actual XML on the wire

Hi,

I am pretty certain that what I wish to do is doable with Axis, but I'm
not exactly sure of how to approach it. I need to control the format of
the XML that is sent on the wire. Not format as the way the elements are
arranged but the actual bytes. The reason for this is that to control
the encoding of the document that will be transmitted, naturally both
for reading and writing.

The JAX-RPC spec in section 19 shows an XMLWriter/XMLReader pair of
classes that would do the job prefectly well but that part of JAX-RPC is
non-prescriptive and I do not see those classes in Axis. I looked for
equivalents but it appears that there are several places that could be
XML writers or readers and I'm not sure which is the one that actually
ends up creating what will be shipped over the wire.

Note that controlling the encoding would be ok, but I'd very much prefer
to intervene on the XML generation/parsing step.

Thus, my questions are:

   1) which interface do I need to implement to manipulate the raw XML?
   2) once I've implemented it, how do I plug it in so that it takes the
place of the default one?

Thanks in advance for any answer or pointers, I'm willing to contribute
patches to Axis if such functionality is not available (even though
quite obviously I'd rather be able to use it directly).

--
Robin Berjon <ro...@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway