Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/07/17 06:49:28 UTC

[POLL] Accept Radii8 Code Donation

Hi Folks,

Judah Frangipane (a long time Flex user) has been busy helping Harbs with
TLF Tables, but has also developed a Flex=oriented IDE called Radii8.  The
GitHub project is here: https://github.com/monkeypunch3/Radii8

Judah is proposing to donate Radii8 to Apache Flex.

Here's a quote from Judah about Radii8:

"What my main focus has been is to be able to design something that
then generates a web site or an application with a lot of hooks and tools
to do our job (web, mobile and desktop). Why not use Photoshop or Ai to
accomplish that? I could! That will work for some projects but I'm trying
to support the full Flex framework. And there's projects I'd like to do
that would require it's own environment. Also, code editing or text editing
might better be handled in things like FDT, FB, or IntelliJ."

Please reply with objections (or affirmations).  We'll close the poll
after 72 hours or so.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [POLL] Accept Radii8 Code Donation

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

From those answers there's certainly no barriers to donation that I can see.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [POLL] Accept Radii8 Code Donation

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline...

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:23 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks good and a useful think to have.
>
> A few questions - which probably only Judah can answer:
> - Is Judah willing to fill in the paperwork to get the donation done?
> (We've had a least one donation that's stuck in limbo because paperwork was
> not done.)
> - Has he signed an ICLA? And I assume for something this large would
> require a software grant.

I've signed an ICLA already and it's registered with Apache. I'm willing to
work on the additional paperwork but I'm not sure how long it will take.

- Have there been any other contributors to the code?

Not yet

> - How was he employed when developing this? Does he or perhaps an employer
> own the rights to the code?

I've worked on this in my free time and outside and prior to any contract
work that I've taken on.

> - Once donated to Apache is he willing to continue working on and and/or
> support it?

He is. I mean I am. There are a few aspects to this project. The core
Radiate class is independent of the Application and it's views. The demo
uses MXML for layout and standard UI Components to mimic an IDE. But you or
someone could change the UI to create a different type of interface for
your own type of project, for example a Flex skin explorer or layout
explorer. Both could be separate applications that use the core classes. I
would help with those core classes but I can't say I would be able to
support the applications or UI that will eventually use them if that makes
sense nor could I know how it will be used.

Re: [POLL] Accept Radii8 Code Donation

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Radiate, at it's core, is a set of classes that support a design and
development type of tool set or workflow. The type of application could be
made for the desktop as easily as online. For some use cases a desktop
version would be necessary.

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Yeah, I plain forgot.  I'll open a Lazy vote.  Based on the poll, it
should pass easily.  I'll help Jude through the process, although others
can pitch in as well.

-Alex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Bumping this thread up.

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
Comments inline...

Posted by Avi Kessner <ak...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like something we could really use.