Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2011/09/18 17:25:44 UTC

[VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2 release based on RC1

Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Core
4.2-alpha2. The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes
from HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.

Packages:
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-alpha2-RC1/

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcore-4.2-alpha2-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

Maven artefacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-074/org/apache/httpcomponents/

SVN tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/tags/4.2-alpha2-RC1/

Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2 release based on RC1

Posted by Bill Speirs <bi...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Thanks again Oleg for all the hard work!

Bill-

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
>   Vote:  HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2 release
>   [X] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2.
>   [ ] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2 release based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 September 2011 17:25, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 September 2011 16:48, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 11:39 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
>>> Just tried on a Linux box which is used by about 50 - 60 developers and
>>> everything passed.
>>>
>>> Sebb, could you try pulling out a fresh copy from SVN and testing that?
>>> Maybe you have something conflicting that you don't realize?
>>>
>>> Bill-
>>>

>> Tested on WinXP and Ubuntu 10.10. Never had any issues.
>>
>> I did realize, however, there was a (remote) possibility for #connected
>> events not being fired fast enough (which appears to be the case with
>> the Sebastian's system given that the number of open connections in the
>> error message was always below expected 10). I tweaked the test case and
>> fixed possible race condition.
>>
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> Could you please pull the latest snapshot from the trunk and re-try?
>
> That seems to have fixed the problem.
>
> Since this is a benign error, IMO it does not invalidate the release.

+1 to release.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 17:25 +0100, sebb wrote:

> > Sebastian,
> >
> > Could you please pull the latest snapshot from the trunk and re-try?
>
> That seems to have fixed the problem.
>
> Since this is a benign error, IMO it does not invalidate the release.

So, do you want me to cut another RC or can you cast a vote on RC1?

Oleg

Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2-alpha2 release based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Speirs <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Speirs <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 September 2011 15:11, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 September 2011 15:00, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 09:43 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
>>> I  never like the idea of removing test cases... could we bump the timeouts
>>> up?
>
> I tried adding a pause of 90 seconds at line 176 of
> TestDefaultIOReactors, but that did not help - the server connection
> count check always fails.
>

>>> I just updated to r1172624, and all tests pass for me. My system was
>>> completely unused except for these tests though.
>>>

> Which OS?
>
> I am using WinXP; system not heavily loaded.
>

>> Socket / connect timeout values for test cases are currently set to 60
>> seconds which looks adequate. Since I am unable to reproduce the problem
>> in the first place, I am not sure bumping timeout values would solve it.
>> At any rate, this can be done after the release and I am not sure this
>> issue should block the release at all.
>
> I think we need to know a bit more about the possible cause to be sure
> it's not a critical issue.
>
> I'll try and see if I can debug further here.

Found a bug in the test case (fixed in SVN) - client connections were
not being maintained; wrong field used in client handler.

However, this does not fix the server connection count mismatch, which
is now expected <7>, was <5>.

I added stack traces to the server handler, and found that server
connections continue to be connected after the call to server
shutdown.

Two servers are connected during the main test; following server.shutdown I see:
connect
connect
close
close