Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Vladimir Simjanoski <vl...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/10 00:27:26 UTC

Documentation on security

Hello!

First, congratulations to all developers working on Jetspeed2
implementation.
I don't have that much time to dive into the source code as I would like to,
but just by checking
the CVS Head from time to time, I can always see an improvement...

I know that all of you are working hard on your goals, but can you tell me
more about your
plans for improving (finishing?) the security documentation. I'm sure
there're plenty of
us developers who'd appreciate very much if they have some know-how to jump
quckly on it.

Are there any plans to implement some portlets that enable user
customization
(choosing between layouts, adding/removing portlets from page...). Perhaps
I'm missing them :)

Just by looking at the mailing list I can see that Jetspeed2 covers a lot of
technologies.
The main reason everyone is not recognizing that this is an excellent
framework is the
missing entry-level documentation.

Regards,
Vladimir

Re: Documentation on security

Posted by Santiago Urrizola <ch...@yahoo.com.ar>.
I am in the same problem, need to change all the login (authentication,
autorization, and users manager) and still cant make it.
I  thinks a good start its to reimplement the Manager Clases (UserManager,
etc) the SecutiryAcces, and the UserClases, but i get in other trouble,
witch data of the users must the Manager resturns.
*1)In the default configuration of j2, the user/roles/groups, are store in
the same table, that is one of the things than i need to change.
*2)Other thing, is the uer data, i need to managetr about 1000 users, and
need a more eficicent way to store and retribve each one.
*3)The last thing, is the roles and groups.

For *1 i change the implemetation of the UserManager in the pipeline, but y
see that there isnt the only place where the j2 retrive users, threse is
another class SecurityAcces.
So .. this is wat ir learn ... afeter see the login process. If you know
more information, or tip, or anything, please let me know

Thanks
Santiago

Hi Randy!

On 5/10/05, Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net> wrote:

> Vladimir,
>
> Thanks for the input... comments inline:
>
> >I know that all of you are working hard on your goals, but can you tell
> me
> >more about your
> >plans for improving (finishing?) the security documentation. I'm sure
> >there're plenty of
> >us developers who'd appreciate very much if they have some know-how to
> jump
> >quckly on it.
> >
> Exactly what aspect of security are you referring to... login
> authentication, user roles/groups, PSML constraints
> and/or permissions?

I'd like to know all the possibilities that Jetspeed2 offers in the security
area.
Right now, I'm particularly interested in overriding the default login
authentication,
but couldn't find time to take a detailed look...

>Are there any plans to implement some portlets that enable user
> >customization
> >(choosing between layouts, adding/removing portlets from page...).
> Perhaps
> >I'm missing them :)
> >
> David Taylor is working on these when he can, so, yes there are plans :-).

Glad to hear that. Are there any plans for the next milestone?

>Just by looking at the mailing list I can see that Jetspeed2 covers a lot
> of
> >technologies.
> >The main reason everyone is not recognizing that this is an excellent
> >framework is the
> >missing entry-level documentation.
> >
> Again, thanks for the feedback. Interesting in contributing your
> experiences to the Wiki?

Yes, absolutely. I'm planning to spend more time with Jetspeed2
in the months to come, so I'm sure I'll have something to share with the
others.

Randy

Re: Documentation on security

Posted by Vladimir Simjanoski <vl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Randy!

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Vladimir,

Posted by Vladimir Simjanoski <vl...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the info!!!
Can't wait to get home and take a look... :-)

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.