Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Glenn Gillis <gl...@elaw.org> on 2007/04/18 19:14:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Enabling mod_headers on Apache v1.3.37?

I am trying to enable the mod_headers module in Apache v1.3.37 (compiled
from source) running on FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p26.

I have tried passing both:

  --enable-module=headers

and

  --activate-module=src/modules/standard/mod_headers.c
  --enable-module=headers

to configure before recompiling and reinstalling Apache.

Despite the lack of errors reported by configure, when I attempt to call
the module in my Apache configuration file I receive this error from
"apachectl configtest":

"[glenn@luna:glenn]$ sudo /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 398 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Invalid command 'Header', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
included in the server configuration"

Line 398 in my httpd.conf is: "Header unset Content-Type" and is
contained within the following stanza:

393 <VirtualHost 64.112.226.133>
394   ServerName law.leat.or.tz
395   RewriteEngine On
396   RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://localhost:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/law.leat.or.tz:80/www.leat.o
       r.tz/law/VirtualHostRoot/$1 [L,P]
397   ProxyVia on
398   Header unset Content-Type
399 </VirtualHost>

(The site is a Zope site running behind Apache 1.3.37)

Clearly, the module is not being found/configured/etc. when I recompile
the Apache server.

The mod_headers documentation claims it is available in "Available in
Apache 1.2 and later," however, there is no specific documentation about
activating the module. The file src/modules/standard/mod_headers.c does
exist, BTW, the 1.3.37 distribution.

I'm sure someone on the list has used this module under Apache 1.3. Care
to share any tips for getting the server to recognize the module?
--
Thanks!

Glenn Gillis
ELAW U.S. Information Technology Manager
Environmental Law Alliance Worldwide
http://www.elaw.org