Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ed Yu <ek...@asgnet.psc.sc.edu> on 2002/11/26 19:59:20 UTC

ReloadAction related question

Hi all,

I've found out from the docs that the ReloadAction is removed from 1.1.
While this seems logical, there are certain circumstances that this may
be desirable.

I've integrated Beanshell into Struts and allow actions to be scripted
(within an interpreted environment). This works real well and it will
even be better if we can reload the struts-config.xml so that we don't
even have to shutdown Tomcat when adding actions and beans.

Now my question is that if there is any plan to "re-support" the
ReloadAction? If not, I was wondering how do I add this support in for
future releases?

Your comments are appreciated.

Ed Yu, Senior Solutions Architect (IBM Certified AIX Administrator),
Advanced Solutions Group, Physics Dept., University of South Carolina,
Columbia, SC 29208
Office (803)777-8831, FAX (803)777-8833, Email ekyu@asgnet.psc.sc.edu

Re: ReloadAction related question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Ed Yu wrote:

> Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:59:20 -0500
> From: Ed Yu <ek...@asgnet.psc.sc.edu>
> To: struts-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: ReloadAction related question
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've found out from the docs that the ReloadAction is removed from 1.1.
> While this seems logical, there are certain circumstances that this may
> be desirable.
>
> I've integrated Beanshell into Struts and allow actions to be scripted
> (within an interpreted environment). This works real well and it will
> even be better if we can reload the struts-config.xml so that we don't
> even have to shutdown Tomcat when adding actions and beans.

I can see how that would be a useful scenario.

> Now my question is that if there is any plan to "re-support" the
> ReloadAction? If not, I was wondering how do I add this support in for
> future releases?

I don't personally have any plans for such resupport.  That doesn't mean
someone couldn't persuade me by showing us an implementation that does
enough useful stuff without slowing down a production app.

The problem with ReloadAction was that Struts was trying to act like a
container, but it couldn't do a complete job of it -- for example, you
can't reload classes that have been modified, or (portably) add new
classes to a running webapp (even if Tomcat might support this).

At the same time as 1.1 was being developed, work progressed on things
like Tomcat's reload command via the Manager webapp (so you can have
reload-on-demand, scriptable with an Ant task in 4.1, running pretty
quickly, complete with saving and restoring your session), it really
doesn't make sense for Struts to half-implement a feature that containers
fully implement already.

A more minor point is that freezing the configuration information at app
startup time allows Struts to access the mapping information (typically
stored in a HashMap) without having to synchronize them -- a modest but
real improvement in performance for all users.

> Your comments are appreciated.

Craig