Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Albie Janse van Rensburg <al...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/21 09:51:11 UTC

Source Control for Database Aspect

Hi all

I am implementing Subversion for a .Net project at work, and it's great
to be able to use plug-ins like AnkhSVN to get Subversion integrated
with Visual Studio.  However, like most software project above the
"Hello World" level, there is a database aspect to our development.  We
are using Microsoft SQL Server 2000, and a large part of the project's
business logic lies in stored procedures and metadata that populate
elements in the project.  It is necessary to bring the database aspect
into version control, as older versions of the .Net source are often
incompatible with different versions of the database.

Is there any way to accomplish this level of source control using
Subversion?  I am also very interested to know whether there are any
Subversion plugins available that would work with SQL Server - it has
some method by which Visual Source Safe (ew...) can integrate, so it
seems natural to assume that third party developers should be able to do
something similar.

Any hints, suggestions or flames (I did mention VSS. Argh! Again!) are
welcome.

Albie