Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/29 17:35:42 UTC

Solr proposal: adding super-minimal configset

Hi,

I would like to add a super-minimal learning-schema example to Solr as
one of the configsets.

The current proposal is at:
https://github.com/arafalov/solr-presentation-2018-may/tree/master/configs/initial
. It is 21 lines of managed-schema and 12 lines of solrconfig.xml. No
extra files.

The associated presentation is at
https://www.slideshare.net/arafalov/rapid-solr-schema-development-phone-directory
and is backed by the commit-by-commit versions of the
https://github.com/arafalov/solr-presentation-2018-may/commits/master/configs/evolution
and the dataset, also in the repo.

It is a learning schema, not SolrCloud ready, no caches configured, no
parent/child, no unused fieldType definitions and uses
SortableTextField and dynamicField * to achieve quickest learning
start and flexibility. This is based on my strong opinion that the
kitchen-sink approach we currently have make any specific features
invisible in those 969/1366 lines +extraFiles.

I am looking for other committers' +1/-1 on this idea. I am happy to
do some modifications if they are deemed absolutely necessary.

A dataset would have been nice to include as well, but the one I have
is GPLv3 or Creative Commons (Share Alike 3.0) - not sure if Share
Alike is an issue.

Regards,
   Alex.

Re: Solr proposal: adding super-minimal configset

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
+1

I'm afraid the required ASF licence headers will double the number of lines though :-)

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
+1
Feel free to add a modicum of comments to those configs.  It is a
*learning* schema after all.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.