Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu> on 2022/02/01 12:47:28 UTC

Upcoming releases

Would it be worth the effort to create and then maintain a page that lists
the planned timeline of upcoming releases for both 5.x and Artemis? There
have been a lot of questions about upcoming plans in the wake of the Log4J
CVE, but even during normal times we get occasional questions here about
upcoming plans, and that's just the users who bother to sign up for the
mailing list so there could well be more who look for that info but don't
post to ask.

The downside is that once we create a page for that content we'll have to
be diligent about updating it (including publishing updates when something
slides back a bit), otherwise what's the point. I'm not sure if the folks
who would have to do the ongoing work on this think it's worth the effort,
but I wanted to throw it out for consideration.

Tim

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
My concern isn't so much with updating the website upon a release. As you
note, we already do that.

My concern is with the other updates that will inevitably be needed when
the schedule slips for whatever reason. If we just stick to a general
release cadence none of that will be necessary.

Regarding release details, we can leverage the "Releases" page [1] [2]
already present in Jira. Folks can click on any release and see what was or
will be in it. It won't be as user friendly as a curated list, but it also
requires zero effort which is a big win in my opinion.

Justin

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/AMQ?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/ARTEMIS?selectedItem=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin%3Arelease-page

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
The concerns Justin has voiced are the reason I wasn't sure that adding
such a page would be worth the effort. I think it would be OK to follow
JB's proposal and do it despite those concerns (the consequences of failure
are pretty low), particularly if some small group of people would take
responsibility for making the updates.

But I think we should establish some criteria for deciding that we're not
doing a good enough job of keeping the dates updated and should remove the
dates and stop putting them on the web page. For example, "either two
distinct periods of time within 6 months where a date was known or
reasonably suspected to be inaccurate by more than 1 week, or if a date is
ever stale for 1 month (the release date is realized to have slipped on
date X, but by X plus a month we haven't updated the web page)."

I like the observation by Justin that JIRA can provide some of this
information, but I think we'd want it to be easier to get to. So what if JB
makes a page listing all planned upcoming releases (typically the next
incidental release in each minor version we're maintaining, but as we get
close to releasing x.y.z and define x.y.z+1 in JIRA we'd add it so
sometimes there would be two for some minor versions) with a link to JIRA
and an estimated release date for each. Then if we realize that we're not
keeping the dates updated, we can remove them and add text to the page
telling people to go to JIRA to see how close we seem to be but the overall
rhythm of adding upcoming releases when we define them and removing them
when they ship can remain unchanged.

Thoughts?

Tim

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Justin,

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
And by the way, this page should mention some important notes (like JDK
version supported, log4j versions, Spring version, ...).

Regards
JB

Re: Upcoming releases

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Tim,

That's a good idea (and it's what we are doing on others projects like
Karaf and Camel).

If there's no objection, I will do the ActiveMQ one.