Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> on 2013/05/22 18:04:20 UTC

Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

I see on the downloads page (http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html)
that the current version is listed as "*Current Version 3.4.1
(incubating)".  *Since 3.4.1 is the current official release, and since
"incubating" has more to do with Apache internal policies than the release
itself, should the release still be called "(incubating)"?

Could shorten the actual filenames too, but I suppose we're stuck with
those for now...?

Don

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 22.05.13 18:04, schrieb Donald Whytock:
> I see on the downloads page (http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html)
> that the current version is listed as "*Current Version 3.4.1
> (incubating)".  *Since 3.4.1 is the current official release, and since
> "incubating" has more to do with Apache internal policies than the release
> itself, should the release still be called "(incubating)"?
I don't think so, The incubating release is released by the incubator,
not by the project. The PPMC votes ar no binding votes.

Greetings Raphael

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by Albino B Neto <bi...@apache.org>.
2013/5/23 Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>:

>> Please, nobody should spend any time on this. It's not worth the effort.
>

> I've seen other people confused by this, so I've just added a note to
> specify why the filename contains "incubating":
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1485595
>
> I agree that this will be enough, no further tweaks needed.

+1

                           Albino

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/23/2013 09:04 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> Please, nobody should spend any time on this. It's not worth the effort.
>
> I've seen other people confused by this, so I've just added a note to
> specify why the filename contains "incubating":
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1485595

OK, when there is a real confusion then of course the effort it worth
it. Thanks, Andrea, for taking over.

Marcus

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 22/05/2013 Juergen Schmidt wrote:
>>> http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html
> Please, nobody should spend any time on this. It's not worth the effort.

I've seen other people confused by this, so I've just added a note to
specify why the filename contains "incubating":

I agree that this will be enough, no further tweaks needed.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Am Mittwoch, 22. Mai 2013 um 22:16 schrieb Marcus (OOo):
> Am 05/22/2013 06:04 PM, schrieb Donald Whytock:
> > I see on the downloads page (http://openoffice.apache.org/downloads.html)
> > that the current version is listed as "*Current Version 3.4.1
> > (incubating)". *Since 3.4.1 is the current official release, and since
> > "incubating" has more to do with Apache internal policies than the release
> > itself, should the release still be called "(incubating)"?
> >

> The AOO project was still incubating as the version was released. So,
> it's correct when it is still listed as "incubating".
>
> > Could shorten the actual filenames too, but I suppose we're stuck with
> > those for now...?
> >

> It won't work as long as you don't change the filenames on the
> SourceForge servers, their download scripting, our download scripting.
> And believe me, you don't want to do this just for 3.4.1. ;-)
>
> Or do you mean just the displayed filenames? Yes, this could be changed
> but I don't know if it is worth it.
>
> Of course AOO 4.0.0 will be completely different in this regard.

Please, nobody should spend any time on this. It's not worth the effort.

Juergen

Re: Is 3.4.1 still "incubating"?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.