Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2010/08/11 21:22:17 UTC

Configuring JSVC on a new installation

Are there any good step-by-steps on getting JSVC working with Tomcat 6 on Linux
(Fedora)?

The tomcat installation docs are outdated (JSVC isn’t even in /bin), and every
guide I find seems to be 2 years old and wrong in some way.

I trying downloading JSVC separately, but get make errors, and those docs aren’t
terribly explicit about certain details either.

Thanks,
David

Re: Configuring JSVC on a new installation

Posted by Jorge Medina <ce...@gmail.com>.
The following script requires that you have build the APR and
APR-utils prior to building JSVC in 64-bit mode. You will need the
paths where the APR and APR-utils get installed.

I use this script to build jsvc in Linux and Solaris, so you also need
to define some variables to define the path to your "autoconf" and
"make" commands (that in my case, they live in different directories
and the version I want to use is not always in the PATH)
JSVC_PATH_SRC must point to the sources for Unix  (something like
${tomcat.root}/bin/commons-daemon-${jsvc.version}-native-src/unix )

=== buildjsvc.sh ===

#!/bin/sh

if [ "${JAVA_HOME}" = "" ] ; then
   echo "JAVA_HOME is not defined"
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${CATALINA_HOME}" = ""  ] ; then
   echo "CATALINA_HOME is not defined"
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${APR_DIR}" = "" ] ; then
   echo "APR_DIR not defined."
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${APU_DIR}" = "" ] ; then
   echo "APU_DIR not defined."
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${AUTOCONF_CMD}" = "" ] ; then
   echo "AUTOCONF_CMD not defined"
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${JSVC_PATH_SRC}" = "" ] ; then
   echo " JSVC_PATH_SRC not defined"
   exit 1
fi
if [ "${MAKE_CMD}"  = "" ] ; then
   echo " MAKE_CMD not defined "
   exit 1
fi

# Kill me on all errors
set -e

CPPFLAGS="-m64 -O3"
CXXFLAGS="-m64 -O3"
CFLAGS="-m64 -O3"
LDFLAGS="-m64 -O3 -L${APR_DIR}/lib -L${APU_DIR}/lib
-L${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/amd64 -L${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/sparcv9"
export CPPFLAGS CXXFLAGS CFLAGS LDFLAGS

chmod u+x ${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/configure

cd "${JSVC_PATH_SRC}"
${AUTOCONF_CMD}
${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/configure --with-java="${JAVA_HOME}"

# This is a hack: The configure step does not configure the appropiate
CPU on 64-bit systems
cp "${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/Makedefs" "${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/Makedefs-Original"
sed '
s:-DCPU=\\"i386\\":-DCPU=\\"amd64\\":g
s:-DCPU=\\"sparc\\":-DCPU=\\"sparcv9\\":g' <
"${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/Makedefs-Original" > "${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/Makedefs"

${MAKE_CMD} clean

${MAKE_CMD}

cp  ${JSVC_PATH_SRC}/jsvc ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin

EXIT_CODE=$?
exit $EXIT_CODE

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Under Debian Linux, I just type
apt-get install jsvc

and then

man jsvc

# apt-cache search jsvc
jsvc - wrapper to launch Java applications as daemons
libcommons-daemon-java - library to launch Java applications as daemons

So, tip : have you checked if jsvc is not simply available as a package under Fedora ?

(yeah, I know, the purists will balk..)

Posted by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Looks like I just got through it. Thanks for the two helpful responses.
The make failed because I had the JAVA_HOME path wrong (yum installs put the
libraries in a different directory than the executables on linux, I didn't
realize it).
And I found the JSVC files included in tomcat (the file names have changed some
from what the docs show, but for the most part it all worked about the same).

Posted by George Sexton <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.
On Open SUSE, I just type make.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.