Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Hartmut Bernecker <h....@dhw.de> on 2001/03/26 09:55:38 UTC

4s4c with Apache client retrieving a VARIANT vartype

Hi,
following questions:

1.
Are there productive webservices using 4s4c
(http://www.pocketsoap.com/4s4c/), in particular in conjunction with an
Apache SOAP client?

2.
Who has gained experience using the vartype VARIANT (Cpp) on a server
and accessing that via SOAP (using 4s4c and Apache SOAP-Client).
--> One of my problems is the Fault-Message:
"Unhandled VARTYPE in SOAPMarschallerFactory".
Where I can find an example of this constellation in the web??

thnx in advance
Hartmut Bernecker

Re: 4s4c with Apache client retrieving a VARIANT vartype

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:22:51 +0200, in soap you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>... the variant contains an SAFEARRAY of BSTR.

sorry, not yet supported. Your best bet would be to make the method
return an SAFEARRAY of BSTR directly (rather than wrapping it in a
variant)

>But I think I have a general problem (to unterstand how) to retrieve
>*other* parameters than Strings or bytes/shorts/longs ..., by name:
>
>- DATE
>- VARIANT

DATE is mapped to xsd:timeInstant, and should work fine. (assuming
Apache has a serializer for timeInstant)  In general Variants are a
PIA, and not very well supported as of yet.

>--> Result: "Unhandled VARTYPE in SOAPMarschallerFactory"
>
>In addition, I miss information, how to associate COM types with JAVA
>types. The http://www.pocketsoap.com/4s4c/docs/datatypes.html is
>instructive and I would appreciate having that table extended with an
>column of "matching" JAVA classes.

hmmm, well that would depend on (a) which SOAP/Java toolkit you use
and (b) how you decide to map them. Sorry i can't be more help. I had
a quick look around the Apache docs, and the type mappings are not
mentioned. I think you'll need to dig through the Apache source to
work it out.

>I would be **very** grateful of having an simple but instructive COM
>(Cpp) / JAVA example covering all Basic Types
>(http://www.pocketsoap.com/4s4c/docs/datatypes.html) as input parameters
>as well as output parameters

I'll put it on the list.

Cheers
Simon

Re: 4s4c with Apache client retrieving a VARIANT vartype

Posted by Simon Fell <so...@zaks.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Hartmut Bernecker <h....@dhw.de>.
Hi,

... the variant contains an SAFEARRAY of BSTR.

But I think I have a general problem (to unterstand how) to retrieve
*other* parameters than Strings or bytes/shorts/longs ..., by name:

- DATE
- VARIANT

--> Result: "Unhandled VARTYPE in SOAPMarschallerFactory"

In addition, I miss information, how to associate COM types with JAVA
types. The http://www.pocketsoap.com/4s4c/docs/datatypes.html is
instructive and I would appreciate having that table extended with an
column of "matching" JAVA classes.

I would be **very** grateful of having an simple but instructive COM
(Cpp) / JAVA example covering all Basic Types
(http://www.pocketsoap.com/4s4c/docs/datatypes.html) as input parameters
as well as output parameters

Cheers
Hartmut