Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org> on 2021/09/19 04:30:50 UTC

[VOTE] Deprecate maildir in 3.6.1, removal as part of 3.7.x

Hello all,

In order to prepare for the 3.6.1 release I did open this fix,
https://github.com/apache/james-project/pull/659 ensuring files used by
the maildir implementation are sanitized, which I considered being a
blocker.

However, I did not open the fix for the 3.7.0 release as I personally
prefer removal.

Please bear in mind that MailDir costs us a bug maintenance effort and
still suffers from numerous bugs [1], follows a James specific sheme
limiting inter-operability (that was likely never tested), have
alternatives for zero dependency persistant mail server (namely JPA),
and finally [2] I propose a documented migration strategy.

As such, I call a vote to mark MailDir deprecated in 3.6.1 release and
removed in 3.7.0 release.

|Voting rules: - The vote starts at Sunday 19th of September 2021,
11am30 UTC+7 - The vote ends at |||Sunday| 26th||of September 2021, 11am30 UTC+7|

Best regards,

Benoit

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/server-dev@james.apache.org/msg70909.html
[2] https://imapsync.lamiral.info/ <https://imapsync.lamiral.info/>
 http://www.linux-france.org/prj/pop2imap/ <http://www.linux-france.org/prj/pop2imap/>
 https://james.staged.apache.org/james-project/3.7.0/servers/distributed/operate/migrating.html <https://james.staged.apache.org/james-project/3.7.0/servers/distributed/operate/migrating.html>

Re: [VOTE] Deprecate maildir in 3.6.1, removal as part of 3.7.x

Posted by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by "btellier@apache.org" <bt...@apache.org>.
Hello all,

Given the rules of vote and lazy consensus [1] as this proposal received
no negative votes but 2 positive ones, the resolution passes.

Best regards,

Benoit

[1] Lazy consensus:
https://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html