Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ricardo Ramos <ba...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/26 07:19:20 UTC

Struts vs Other competitors

Hi!

Can you guys point me to some literature debating Struts 1 vs. Struts 2  vs.
Asp.NET vs. JSF vs. etc..?

The project on which I'm working on currently uses Struts 1 (+ Spring and
Hibernate). Although I don't foresee a migration happening for the following
years, it would be very interesting to make an analysis of all the
state-of-art options. For this to happen, I really needed to find and read
some high-authority text to provide me the base for this analysis.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

RR

Re: Struts vs Other competitors

Posted by mu...@aol.com.
 It is not clear how one gets to help -- I have submitted bugs with fixes a few times and then wondered
what to do next so they sit there and ferment ...
Chris

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.
Sadly, I have kids so I either have no time for video games or can¹t get
access to the gear. My past time is daydreaming about having a past time.

As for testing, and documentation these tasks are as valid as any others,
but again the problem from my perspective, and I don¹t mean that in a
negative way, is finding which tasks need to be done. I have so much trouble
navigating through the dev management part of the site. I guess what I was
trying to say is that if the outstanding items could be broken down in
manageable tasks, I¹d find it much less intimidating to take them on.

Z.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
The phrase "OH GOD KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!" has been heard exclaimed
in relation to JSF on more than one occassion.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical Ext JS Projects with Gears"

Posted by Zoran Avtarovski <zo...@sparecreative.com>.

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
first started using struts in 02 and have been a strong advocate of Struts implementations since
I believe the incorporation of Ajax enabled Dojo controls and interceptor call stack from freemarker pushed usability
of Struts ahead of JSF in those areas
unfortunately Struts RAD tools are not as well developed as JSF so teaching Struts to new college grads who use only  IDEs is not so easy..also the addressing of bug assignments and what gets accomplished has devolved since Craig and Tad left..incorporation of IOC technologies such as Spring gravitates to Spring accomodates Struts
instead of the other way around
Oracle/Sun JDeveloper IDE seem to be gaining marketshare on Eclipse.. combined with easy WAR/EAR deploy to either Weblogic or Glassfish the details of a j2ee ejb-configuration and incorporating connection-pools  and Persistence architectures are easily handled by user-friendly UI gracefully which populate deployment descriptors

In Academia Struts seems to have the lead but measuring actual business revenue JSF seems to edge iut Struts as managers prefer a Oracle or Sun backed product
support is  another matter as the the 2 JSF support avenues i know of are tomcat-users-list or glassfish-users-list
where the expertise is more on tc container configurations, tweaking perm-gen, using asadmin instead of
how do i get a faces control to receive JSON formatted response back to my div tag
JSF's component based event handlers works well for folks coming from .NET but i wonder about the overhead

what do others think of jsf?
Martin Gainty

> From: strutsua@gmail.com
> To: user@struts.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Struts vs Other competitors
> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 14:42:06 +0300
>
> Thank you Martin,
>
> Sooner or later we start considering programming as business.
> It's critical to develop new products or new versions with parameters that
> would be faster, more quality and less expensive.
> I agree with Matt Rable that JSF programming based on RAD methods makes us
> transition to JSF.
> I think that big companies are destined to make this step to
> increase the customer base and to be able to offer high quality
> services. I liked ADF very much, primarily for its visual development
> environment, quantity of objects, code generation and quality of
> applications. Today I'm spending extra time to transition to JSF+ADF
> ASAP.

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports videos. Check it out.
http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_videos_072009&cat=sports

RE: Struts vs Other competitors

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
support for Toplink

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/tips/mills/struts_diagram.html

http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MLOGEN&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MLOGEN_Local_Local_Restaurants_1x1

RE: Struts vs Other competitors

Posted by Andrey Rogov <st...@gmail.com>.
Martin,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Raible rated Struts as "poor support"

support in JSF is based on implementing container: e.g. glassfish users group or tomcat users group..
usually all questions are answered in TC but not so with GF
Struts is Front Controller based ..basically one event/one request
JSF is Page Controller  n events are parsed from one Request
In Struts navigation is tied to Action
in JSF navigation is tied to Page
http://websphere.sys-con.com/node/46516

ASP.NET is specific to Microsoft platforms which means 75% of the installed servers cannot run it

Martin Gainty
Jogi és Bizalmassági kinyilatkoztatás/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung/Note de déni et de confidentialité
 Ez az
üzenet bizalmas.  Ha nem ön az akinek szánva volt, akkor kérjük, hogy
jelentse azt nekünk vissza. Semmiféle továbbítása vagy másolatának
készítése nem megengedett.  Ez az üzenet csak ismeret cserét szolgál és
semmiféle jogi alkalmazhatósága sincs.  Mivel az electronikus üzenetek
könnyen megváltoztathatóak, ezért minket semmi felelöség nem terhelhet
ezen üzenet tartalma miatt.

> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:31:18 -0700
> Subject: Re: Struts vs Other competitors
> From: musachy@gmail.com
> To: user@struts.apache.org
>
> dig around Matt Raible's blog/presentations, he has plenty of stuff
> related to that.
>
> musachy
>
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Ricardo
> Ramos<ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Can you guys point me to some literature debating Struts 1 vs. Struts 2  vs.
> > Asp.NET vs. JSF vs. etc..?
> >
> > The project on which I'm working on currently uses Struts 1 (+ Spring and
> > Hibernate). Although I don't foresee a migration happening for the following
> > years, it would be very interesting to make an analysis of all the
> > state-of-art options. For this to happen, I really needed to find and read
> > some high-authority text to provide me the base for this analysis.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > RR

Windows Live™ SkyDrive™: Store, access, and share your photos. See how.
http://windowslive.com/Online/SkyDrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_CS_SD_photos_072009

Re: Struts vs Other competitors

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.