Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by James Sherwood <js...@rgisolutions.com> on 2009/02/11 00:31:02 UTC

Site security

Hello,

I was wondering what would be the best way to implement this security(sorry
if it is outside the scope of T5):

I am only going to allow a certain IP range to log into the site, however
some people need to use the site from laptops on the road.

What is the best way to accomplish this?  I was thinking through the mac
address of the machine maybe or something of that nature?

Thanks,

--James

RE: Site security

Posted by James Sherwood <js...@rgisolutions.com>.
Hello,

Thanks,

The admin side is a full user/role deal but they are being very strict on
security.

The public side is a separate app so I'm good, thanks for your help.

--James

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.

RE: Site security

The best way (and this is really not a T5 issue) is not to rely on MAC
or IP addresses, as these can be forged.  You should set up a virtual
private network, and only allow those within that VPN to access the
site.  The remote users log-on to the VPN, and people inside your
network already have access, so no one from the internet in general
can even see the server.

Christian.

On 10-Feb-09, at 18:31 , James Sherwood wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I was wondering what would be the best way to implement this
> security(sorry
> if it is outside the scope of T5):
>

> I am only going to allow a certain IP range to log into the site,
> however
> some people need to use the site from laptops on the road.
>

> What is the best way to accomplish this?  I was thinking through the
> mac
> address of the machine maybe or something of that nature?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --James

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgruber@gmail.com

Re: Site security

Posted by Christian Edward Gruber <ch...@gmail.com>.
The best way (and this is really not a T5 issue) is not to rely on MAC
or IP addresses, as these can be forged.  You should set up a virtual
private network, and only allow those within that VPN to access the
site.  The remote users log-on to the VPN, and people inside your
network already have access, so no one from the internet in general
can even see the server.

Christian.

On 10-Feb-09, at 18:31 , James Sherwood wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I was wondering what would be the best way to implement this
> security(sorry
> if it is outside the scope of T5):
>

> I am only going to allow a certain IP range to log into the site,
> however
> some people need to use the site from laptops on the road.
>

> What is the best way to accomplish this?  I was thinking through the
> mac
> address of the machine maybe or something of that nature?
>

> Thanks,
>
> --James

Christian Edward Gruber
christianedwardgruber@gmail.com