Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch> on 2011/11/30 10:53:33 UTC

The svn:ignore property isn't settled down on trunk

Hi Devs,

That would be great if some committer would update the svn:ignore property
on the trunk (as an example camel-jclouds/target folder is considered as an
outgoing-change on my IDE, or .classpath & .project by some other camel
components).

IMHO this would make life easier for the commiters (while commiting local
workspace changes directly into svn) as well as for the people intending to
provide a patch, so that they should not select what to include inside the
patch what not (out of a lot outgoing changes).

Babak

Re: The svn:ignore property isn't settled down on trunk

Posted by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
FYI, with the revisions that Willem & Claus [1] have already commited the
issue seems to be resolved, so that while synchronizing with the trunk
(subclipse in eclipse) happily I see 0 outgoing-changes.

But maybe you still want to double check it.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1209392

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Friday, December 02, 2011 5:32:25 AM bvahdat wrote:
> @Dan,
>
> did you have a chance to give that CXF script a try?

Yea...  but was getting test failures/hang that I wasn't sure if they were
related or not.  It looks like the hang in camel-spring wasn't so I'll
continue checking.

Basically,  since it changes eol:style on various files, I do need to make
sure to run the full test suite as raw compares might now break.    However,
that does mean the full test suite needs to be in a known good state first.
:-(

Dan

> Babak

Daniel Kulp

Re: The svn:ignore property isn't settled down on trunk

Posted by bvahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
@Dan,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I have a script that I run on the CXF trunk and branches every couple of
months that goes through and adds a bunch of svn:* properties on all the
various files including mime types and eol style things and such.   With CXF,
since I run it often enough, it's not a very big diff.   I expect a MASSIVE
commit on Camel the first time I run it.   I'll give it a try tomorrow (in the
office today) to see how bad it will be.

Dan

On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:19:00 AM bvahdat wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> Thanks a lot for that quick fix.
>
> IMHO the best would be if we could consistently overcontrol the ignore list
> as the following so that the rules apply for *all* of us no matter what the
> client we use:
>
> - for svn dummies (like me) through the svn:ignore property of each given
> folder below the trunk
> - for git users through .gitignore
> - for cvs... that's a overwritten story :-)
>
> Just in the case if there's any delta between your .gitignore copy & [1]
> could you please update that as well, so that all others can make a profit
> of it.
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/trunk/.gitignore
>
> Babak

Daniel Kulp

Re: The svn:ignore property isn't settled down on trunk

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
@Babak,

I assume you know how to configure your svn client [1] and about
global-ignores. I don't know what os you use, on linux you can find the
config at ~/.subversion/config. Another good practice is to set the
default eol-style for known file types. I use a configuration derived
from the cxf config [2].

I hope this helps,
Hadrian

[1] http://www.linxit.de/svnbook/en/1.1/ch07.html
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/etc/svn-auto-props

On 11/30/2011 10:19 AM, bvahdat wrote:
> Hi Willem,
>
> Thanks a lot for that quick fix.
>
> IMHO the best would be if we could consistently overcontrol the ignore list
> as the following so that the rules apply for *all* of us no matter what the
> client we use:
>
> - for svn dummies (like me) through the svn:ignore property of each given
> folder below the trunk
> - for git users through .gitignore
> - for cvs... that's a overwritten story :-)
>
> Just in the case if there's any delta between your .gitignore copy&  [1]
> could you please update that as well, so that all others can make a profit
> of it.
>
> [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/trunk/.gitignore
>
> Babak

Hadrian Zbarcea
Principal Software Architect
Talend, Inc
http://coders.talend.com/
http://camelbot.blogspot.com/

Re: The svn:ignore property isn't settled down on trunk

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Just commit a quick fix for it.
BTW, I'm using git[1] to work on apache camel code now,
it could be more simple to avoid this issue by add a .gitignore file in
the project root.

[1]http://git.apache.org/

On Wed Nov 30 17:53:33 2011, bvahdat wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> That would be great if some committer would update the svn:ignore property
> on the trunk (as an example camel-jclouds/target folder is considered as an
> outgoing-change on my IDE, or .classpath&  .project by some other camel
> components).
>
> IMHO this would make life easier for the commiters (while commiting local
> workspace changes directly into svn) as well as for the people intending to
> provide a patch, so that they should not select what to include inside the
> patch what not (out of a lot outgoing changes).
>
> Babak

Willem
FuseSource
Web: http://www.fusesource.com