Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Wes McKinney <we...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/21 15:18:53 UTC

Getting some more eyes on the R bindings work

Romain just submitted a ~4500 line R patch

https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/2596

I am going to do my best to give feedback, particularly at the C++
binding level, but it would be great to get some more eyes on the
R-level API. As one detail, R6 classes are being used to create the
wrapper interfaces, see

https://adv-r.hadley.nz/r6.html

It should be easier for other people to contribute smaller patches to
iterate on things after this initial project-bootstrapping work lands.

Thanks,
Wes

Re: Getting some more eyes on the R bindings work

Posted by Romain François <ro...@purrple.cat>.
Some of those lines are generated automatically by roxygen, and some of them are the license headers ;-)

Still the pr is substantial, esp compared to the previous one.

Let me know if I can help the process, e.g. write some notes about how R6 is used, the very low level bindings is quite mechanical.

Romain