Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by FANG YAP <fa...@gmail.com> on 2020/06/03 02:52:25 UTC

Re: Vulnerability flagged in Nessus Scan

Resend

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Fang,

Your application's web.xml will only provide error messages for errors
which occur when a request has been issued to your application (e.g.
/myapp/doesnotexist -> 404 -> your 404 page). But if you request
something outside your web application or make an invalid request, you
won't get your application's configured error pages (e.g.
/unknownapp/doesnotexist -> 404 -> Tomcat's default error page; e.g.
/foo HTTP/7.5 -> 400 Bad Request, not app's error page).

So it's always a good idea to completely lock things down, and not
just in your own application.

- -chris

On 6/7/20 21:02, FANG YAP wrote:
> Hello Martin and John,
>
> Any update on this?
>
> Regards with Thanks,
>
> Fang
>
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, 09:48 FANG YAP, <fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Thank you for your email.
>>
>> In my application's web.xml, there is already a default
>> <error-page> error-code that defines 404 (../error_404.jsp), 403
>> (../error_403.jsp), 500 (../error_500.jsp) and
>> java.lang.Throwable (.. /system Error.jsp)
>>
>> where as the tomcat web.xml defines the previous error page on
>> exception.
>>
>> Do I have to declare the same error code in the application's
>> web.xml in the tomcat web.xml?
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> In the tomcat server.xml, there is already a Valve tag like
>> <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.AccessLogValve" pattern=...
>> /> under <Host name="local"... >
>>
>> For your resolution is to include another valve tag below the
>> access log valve?
>>
>> Regards with Thanks,
>>
>> Fang
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2020, 06:03 John Palmer, <jo...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As the concern is that an erro page will show the tomcat
>>> version/patch info AND a stacktrace,\ I found the
>>> easier/better? solution to be adding ..... showReport="false"
>>> showServerInfo="false" to the Error Report Valve section at the
>>> bottom of server.xml (and addin or or uncommenting that valve
>>> section...):
>>>
>>> <Valve className="org.apache.catlina.valves.ErrorReportValve"
>>> showReport="false" showServerInfo="false" />

>>> file?

>>> for

>>> event
>>> attacker.

>>> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/config/valve.html#Error_Rep
ort_Valve

2) configure error-page elements in your application web.xml -

Posted by FANG YAP <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Martin and John,

Posted by FANG YAP <fa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,