Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/05/01 00:08:47 UTC

Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?

http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html

And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.

OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
was a fast effort, in comparison.

Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!

-Rob

Re: Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Posted by Ma Yong Lin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wow, a real new start

发自我的 iPad

在 2012-5-1,上午6:49,"Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de> 写道:

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Wow, really great find. :-)

Re: Ref cover sheet attempt and Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Tuesday, 1. May 2012 at 16:13, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this up really quickly.  It just didn't seem right not to attempt something for a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday in February (born 1995)
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg
> >

> Wow, this is very nice, Nancy. I like what you did with the larger
> wings at the top.

Indeed nice

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Golly, a BIRTHDAY - I downloaded a free trial Illustrator and worked this
> up really quickly.  It just didn't seem right not to attempt something for
> a 10 year old! I read that Apache celebrated their birthday in February
> (born 1995)
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/27834483/OpenOfficeBookCover_A.svg
>

> Nancy
>

>      Nancy      Web Design
> Free 24 hour pass to lynda.com.
> Video courses on SEO, CMS,
> Design and Software Courses

This IS very nice...maybe you could work with Jean on artwork for the new
User's Guide!

> ________________________________

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Ref cover sheet attempt and Happy Birthday, OpenOffice!

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hey all,

Folklore is an important part of any sustainable community, we should
celebrate and promote this milestone.

The anniversary could give our marketing push for 3.4 some great visibility.

Finally, we can use the narrative as an opportunity for people to reflect
on how they have used our product over the past years, and invite them to
tell us how they would expect to use OpenOffice in the next ten years.

UX could blog on this topic to start the conversation. I'll put it on my
list.

Some thoughts.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted by Donald Harbison <dp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 04/30/2012 03:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Anyone remember what happen 10 years ago today  April 30th, 2002?

now -- THIS is a fun little factoid! :)

I started using openoffice.org in 2001, but I guess it was *before* the
1.0 release.

> http://www.openoffice.org/about_us/ooo_release.html
>
> And today the vote to approve the Apache OpenOffice 3.4 release ends.
>
> OpenOffice.org 1.0 took the community 18 months to produce.   AOO 3.4
> was a fast effort, in comparison.
>
> Here's to the next decade of OpenOffice!
>
> -Rob

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette