Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/08/08 13:00:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 (rc1) Release

For your discussing pleasure.

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 (rc1) Release

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
Finally we have 2.0 RC :o)  Congratulations Matt!!

Vamsi

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Moving discussion to the DISCUSS thread...

On Aug 8, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi Matt, it is not obvious to me which one is the binary?
>
> Basically, almost everything has been marked as -src, which
> indicated source.   geronimo-2.0-rc1.tar.gz  is the only candidate
> but that is 360MB (I expect our server is around 60MB).

Hi Lin,
geronimo-2.0-rc1.tar.gz contains all artifacts that are part of the
release. This includes all of the "binaries" (i.e. the assemblies),
as well as the component jar files, source files, etc.

You can download the assemblies from here -- http://people.apache.org/
~hogstrom/geronimo-2.0-rc1/geronimo-2.0/org/apache/geronimo/assemblies/

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 (rc1) Release

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I have unpacked the tar ball in my account so that it is accessible.
Unfortunately, the bandwidth at my hotel was fairly limited and it
had about 2 hours to upload and it was late.  I should have noted my
intention to unpack it when I woke up.

Thanks Kevan for your suggestion.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I updated the Geronimo 2.0 plugin catalog to be compatible with
the 2.0 release candidate.  This will allow you to test downloading
and installing 2.0-SNAPSHOT plugins from the apache snapshot
repository into your 2.0 server.   Many of the 2.0-SNAPSHOT plugins
will install OK but fail to start because of incompatibilities with
the 2.0 runtime - mainly due to api changes in the server that
occurred after the 2.0-SNAPSHOT plugins were deployed.

When Geronimo 2.0 is released and deployed to maven central I will
update the catalog to point at the 2.0 plugins instead of the 2.0-
SNAPSHOT plugins.  As Geronimo becomes more componentized we may need
to revisit how this process works so that we don't release the
plugins before verifying they work correctly in the server of that
same version.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 (rc1) Release

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Yes,

It is at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/components/
txmanager/branches/2.0

It will be copied to the corresponding tags directory.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:06 PM, Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:

>   And I do not see any
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/txmanager-2.0.1-rc1/. There is a
> http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/txmanager-2.0-rc1/. Am I missing
> something? I am getting build failure at:
>
>  Path to dependency:
>        1) org.apache.geronimo.modules:geronimo-transaction:jar:2.0
>        2) org.apache.geronimo.components:geronimo-transaction:jar:
> 2.0.1
>
> ---------
>  required artifact is missing.

Hi Anita,
Building the Geronimo 2.0 release identified a minor problem in the
geronimo-transaction and geronimo-component 2.0 releases. So, a 2.0.1
release of these components was required. As Matt's VOTE states, we
are voting on Geronimo 2.0 *and* txmanager 2.0.1. We're voting on
both releases simultaneously.

The txmanager release can be found here -- http://people.apache.org/
~hogstrom/geronimo-2.0-rc1/geronimo-txmanager-parent-2.0.1.tar.gz

To build Geronimo 2.0, you need to install the txmanager artifacts
into your .m2 repo. Something like this ought to do the trick:

tar zxvf geronimo-txmanager-parent-2.0.1.tar.gz
cp -r geronimo-2.0/* ~/.m2/repository/

--kevan

Re: [DISCUSS] Geronimo 2.0 (rc1) Release

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Anita, thanks for reminding me of the old references.  The txmanager
2.0 was released but later found to be missing some classes.

Here is the current candidate http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/
geronimo-2.0-rc1/geronimo-txmanager-parent-2.0.1.tar.gz which is
located in the same dir as geronimo-2.0-rc1.   Sorry for the confusion.

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
  And I do not see any

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/geronimo-2.0-rc1/geronimo-2.0-src.zip

Posted by Anita Kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.