Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2006/03/06 23:05:37 UTC

[RT] Navigation alternatives

Hi all,

developing my site from scratch again I have to admit I am pretty tired
of editing the site.xml. Further the current site.xml is very limiting
regarding different "views" of the site and reusability for e.g. the
lenya CMS.

Today I stumbled over:
http://www.theyrule.net/
"They Rule allows you to create maps of the interlocking directories of
the top companies in the US in 2004."

BTW what a nice name for a site. ;)

It is a pretty nice example for an alternative navigation I would like.
Another site wyonapictures did an naviagtion with topic maps.

http://www.wyonapictures.com/en/topicmap.html

The last example is pretty straight forward if you looking on the xml
based definition:
http://www.wyonapictures.com/en/wyonapictures.xtm

Would it make sense to write a plugin?

I am not 100% sure but the whole topic map thing seems to fit in the
apache use case of multi-project multi-topic website generation
perfectly. Imaging we teach the cocoon crawler to just crawl specific
topic trees, wouldn't that be awesome.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [RT] Navigation alternatives

Posted by Paul Bolger <pb...@gmail.com>.
> developing my site from scratch again I have to admit I am pretty tired
> of editing the site.xml. Further the current site.xml is very limiting
> regarding different "views" of the site and reusability for e.g. the
> lenya CMS.

Alternate nav schemes would be fantastic.

> Today I stumbled over:
> http://www.theyrule.net/

Very cute concept - slight drawback in that you can't (that I could
find in an intensive five second review) close nodes, so you rapidly
get swamped in overlaid nodes - The underlying   topic-based nav is
great, but it also points to the sort of thing Forrest could do with
SVG. Firefox 1.5 now supports native SVG, so it'd be great to be able
to have the option of Forrest rendering SVG as native for enabled
browsers.

Re: [RT] Navigation alternatives

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
>>I am not 100% sure but the whole topic map thing seems to fit in the
>>apache use case of multi-project multi-topic website generation
>>perfectly. Imaging we teach the cocoon crawler to just crawl specific
>>topic trees, wouldn't that be awesome.
>

> Topic maps have been discussed before on our dev list.
> See the archives. There is some on dev@cocoon too.
> Sounds like perfect stuff for Forrest.

+1000

My recollections of the past discussions are that they would be a
fantastic addition to Forrest, but noone got the itch yet.

Ross

Re: [RT] Navigation alternatives

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I am not 100% sure but the whole topic map thing seems to fit in the
> apache use case of multi-project multi-topic website generation
> perfectly. Imaging we teach the cocoon crawler to just crawl specific
> topic trees, wouldn't that be awesome.

Topic maps have been discussed before on our dev list.
See the archives. There is some on dev@cocoon too.
Sounds like perfect stuff for Forrest.

-David