Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Mch.SNI.De> on 2000/01/11 11:36:45 UTC

Ever visited "http://apache.org rules!" ?

Try to enter the URL

    http://apache.org rules!

(note the space!) into the Location field of your Communicator or IExplorer. Yes,
that IS possible, and it will even return the entry page of the ASF.

However, relative links seem broken (some images appear, others don't).
Looks like absolute URL references are somehow stripped by Communicator
at the first blank, while relative URLs aren't.

However, IMHO Apache should treat such a request as a 400 error.
Must have a look at my URL parsing routines to find out why this is
broken.

    Martin
--
<Ma...@MchP.Siemens.De>             |    Fujitsu Siemens
Fon: +49-89-636-46021, FAX: +49-89-636-41143 | 81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Ever visited "http://apache.org rules!" ?

Posted by Eugene Lee <eu...@anime.net>.
On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 05:15:18PM +0100, Martin Kraemer wrote:
:
:Maybe I should have said that both MSIE5.0 and NSCo4.7 were configured
:to use a proxy.

Will both browsers run within your network environemtn without the proxy?
If so, try the offending URL that way (clearing cache, history, etc.).

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net

Re: Ever visited "http://apache.org rules!" ?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Mch.SNI.De>.
Maybe I should have said that both MSIE5.0 and NSCo4.7 were configured
to use a proxy. On a local (intranet) access, my access_log contains:

139.25.104.157 - - [11/Jan/2000:11:40:28 +0100] "GET /icons/apache_pb.gif HTTP/1.0" 403 - "http://apache.MchP.Siemens.De or some such/" "Mozilla/4.7 [en] (WinNT; U)"
139.25.105.238 - - [11/Jan/2000:11:31:31 +0100] "GET /images/apa/ApacheGroupFoundation.gif HTTP/1.0" 200 21851 "http://apache.mch.sni.de%20rules!/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Windows NT; DigExt; QXW0330v; QXW0331j)"
(note the Referer; the 1st line is NS, the second MS)

    Martin

--
  <Ma...@MchP.Siemens.De>      |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Ever visited "http://apache.org rules!" ?

Posted by Eugene Lee <eu...@anime.net>.
[...]

The last time I looked at those parsing routines, I don't recall that it
performed strict charset checking.  I don't even want to think about all
the web pages I've seen that have with URLs containing JIS, much less
the web servers that handled such URLs containing JIS.  But I suspect if
strict charset checking was enabled, lots of non-Western web sites (and
a few Western ones) would break pretty hard.

--
Eugene Lee
eugene@anime.net