Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Julian Hyde <ju...@hydromatic.net> on 2014/07/06 22:00:01 UTC

First Apache release of Optiq

Optiq has been releasing regularly, but it is important that Optiq soon makes an initial release under the Apache process.

I have logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPTIQ-336, "First Apache release" and intend to drive towards a release 0.9 in the next few weeks. You will see work towards the release going on on a "stable" branch, while regular development continues on "master".

Julian

Re: First Apache release of Optiq

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
:D  Indeed.  Surprised I didn't say HBASE-333, that would have really
confused people.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
On another thread we were talking about the names of the reorg packages.
 Since we're going to hopefully only do this once, I'd like to (re) bring
up starting to support a strong delineation between the planning engine and
particular data execution code bits.

As far as outstanding patches, I'd like to drive towards a conclusion and
merge on DRILL-333 before reorg.  I'll respond on that thread separately.

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.
+1 for code re-org​

--
Vladimir

Progress towards first Apache release

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@hydromatic.net>.
Some progress towards this first release, but I’m going to need help — yes, from YOU! — to get it out of the door.

First the progress report, then some tasks where you can help.

Optiq now has access to Apache’s Nexus repository, and I was able to deploy a snapshot build to the snapshot repository [1].

To enable that change, I had to change the namespace of our maven artifacts OPTIQ-354 [2]. The groupId is now “org.apache.optiq”, not “net.hydromatic.optiq”. And I renamed “optiq-parent” module to “optiq” (the name has been confusing some people). The full maven coordinates of the snapshot release are as follows:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.apache.optiq</groupId>
  <artifactId>optiq</artifactId>
  <version>0.9.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

optiq/pom.xml now inherits from Apache’s root pom {groupId: “org.apache”, artifactId: “optiq”, version: “14”}. Repository URLs are in that pom.

The snapshot build proves we can sign jars and push files to Apache, but there is lots more to do.

Can someone take on OPTIQ-353 [3], and run through the release check list?

We also need a simple web site, OPTIQ-355 [4]. Any volunteers to do that?

There are a few JIRA cases that need to go into this release that should be suitable for new contributors. Raise your hand and I’ll suggest some.

The code re-org, OPTIQ-296 [5], is frankly going to be a big stretch. Marc has done a lot of the work, but it is potentially destabilizing. It would be foolish to commit his patch to master unless the other tasks for the release are done, and soon. More likely the code re-org will happen right after the release.

Julian

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPTIQ-354
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPTIQ-353