Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2006/04/19 14:01:32 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Proposal : Sending all the messages inside MIME Envelopes when MTOM is enabled

Hi Thilina, all:

Thilina Gunarathne wrote:
> Actually the above issue which we tries to address by traversing the
> OM is something that needs to be handled by MTOM policies...Till we
> get MTOM policies (Are they already in??)I propose to send the
> messages inside MIME envelopes when MTOM is enabled irrespective of
> whether they contain optimisable parts or not. This methode is used by
> most of the other known MTOM implementations as well.
>
> Any Ideas???

1) I don't understand exactly why this is a problem - shouldn't there
just be a setting/property which says "send as MTOM"?  In other words,
you let the higher layer (the user/service) decide if a given message
should be MTOM-enveloped or not, rather than walking the whole tree.  If
you put an optimizable node in and don't indicate "send as MTOM" then
you get a resulting XML document containing base64 data - with
content-type "application/soap+xml" or "text/xml", but *not*
"application/xop+xml".  If the property is set, *then* you always send MIME.

2) I don't think we should be sending MIME in the simple non-MTOM cases.
  Our default SOAP messages should look like regular old SOAP 1.1 or 1.2.

--Glen

Re: [Axis2] Proposal : Sending all the messages inside MIME Envelopes when MTOM is enabled

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Thilina:

+1, sounds great!

--Glen