Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org> on 2008/09/12 23:34:53 UTC

Announcement/Poll: Compiler and platform support for Xalan-C

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what compilers and platforms to support moving
forward.  My motivation is to reduce the amount of time I spend
maintaining the various Microsoft project files and more obscure
platforms so I can spend more time on code and a re-write of the
Linux/Unix build system.

As part of this, I would like to remove support for the following
compilers/platforms:

     MS Visual Studio.Net 2002 (MSVC 7)
     HP-UX 10
     Versions of GCC earlier than 3.x on all platforms.

In addition, the following platforms will be deprecated and disappear
withing 6-12 months:

     Microsoft Visual Studio 6
     MS Visual Studio.Net 2003 (MSVC 7.1)
     Compaq Tru64
     Irix

These platforms will remain in the build system and the source code, but
they are not guaranteed to work.  They are not maintained, since I don't
have access to the necessary hardware and software to do so:

     AIX
     Solaris SPARC
     Mac OSX
     OS400
     OS390

The following platforms/compilers are considered the core platforms and
are built on a regular to semi-regular basis:

     XP/Vista with MS Visual Studio 2005 (MSVC8) 32-bit and 64-bit(x64)
     XP/Vista with MS Visual Studio 2008 (MSVC9) 32-bit and 64-bit(x64)
     Solaris x86 using GCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     Solaris x86 using Sun Workshop 12 32-bit and 64-bit
     HP-UX 11i PA-RISC with GCC 32-bit only
     HP-UX 11i Itanium with GCC 32-bit only
     HP-UX 11i PA-RISC with aCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     HP-UX 11i Itanium with aCC 32-bit and 64-bit
     Ubuntu Linux 7.04 and 8.04 with GCC 32-bit and 64-bit.
     Cygwin 32-bit only

The following platforms should be OK, but are not regularly tested:

     OpenBSD with GCC
     NetBSD with GCC
     FreeBSD with GCC

I would appreciate any feedback on this plan.

Thanks!

Dave

Re: Announcement/Poll: Compiler and platform support for Xalan-C

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Peter.Marron@trilliumsoftware.com wrote:

> Hello David,
>
> Currently we build Xalan version 1.10
> on a number of platforms including
> AIX, Solaris and HP-UX (all 32-bit)
> maybe we would be able to provide
> some help running tests on these platforms?
HP-UX is covered, because HP has graciously supplied us with a machine
to use.

If you're using xlC on AIX, it would be great to see if the current code
still compiles.  I know that with newer versions of xlC, our link step
is broken, because we're still using the makeC++SharedLibrary script,
rather than linking with xlC itself.

Also, if you have a SPARC machine, it would be good to know if the
current code still compiles and works.  I suspect it will, since the
compiler front-ends are the same, but it would be nice to verify it.
I've got Solaris x86 covered already.

> and along with others I would like to say thanks
> for your sterling efforts.
You're welcome!

Posted by Pe...@trilliumsoftware.com.
Hello David,

Currently we build Xalan version 1.10
on a number of platforms including
AIX, Solaris and HP-UX (all 32-bit)
maybe we would be able to provide
some help running tests on these platforms?

Regards
and along with others I would like to say thanks
for your sterling efforts.

Peter Marron

Tel : +44 (0) 118 940 7609
Fax : +44 (0) 118 940 7696

David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>
12/09/2008 22:35
Please respond to
xalan-dev@xml.apache.org

xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject
[...]

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing, distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy and delete any copies you may have
received.