Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Rose Peng <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/21 03:02:45 UTC

[VOTE] SystemML New Logo Ideas

Hi everyone,

The design team has explored a few logo concepts, and we would love to see
which ideas you like the most! We're looking for a logo that conveys
optimization, and we came up with a robot. The smile is inspired by a
matrix bracket to bring to mind the mathematical background of SystemML.

In the attached image, we have two main types of logo explorations. One is
a simple forward-facing robot and the other is an isometric interpretation.
Below that we pulled out a few to show how they would look as logos besides
the words "Apache SystemML".

Ultimately, we want the robot to have interchangeable parts to communicate
the customizability of algorithms that SystemML provides, so whatever logo
ends up being chosen it could still have several variations.

Personally, we like concept #1 for the minimal look, but we'd love to hear
your thoughts. Feel free to mix and match or make other suggestions that we
can take into consideration.

Thanks!

*Rose Peng*
MS HCI 2015 - Georgia Institute of Technology
(www.rosepeng.com)

Re: [VOTE] SystemML New Logo Ideas

Posted by fs...@posteo.de.
I really like all of these ideas, so whatever is chosen in the end will
be great.

#1 and #2 remind me a little bit of the lightbend logo
(http://www.lightbend.com/) and I like the isometric versions for
shirts, stickers, action figures  ;)

Posted by Jeremy Anderson <je...@objectadjective.com>.
+1 Rose!

Thanks for putting all these together. You can really see a brand coming
together when you see it all at once. Nice work everyone!

Jeremy Anderson
https://twitter.com/ObjectAdjective
http://www.linkedin.com/in/objectadjective

Posted by Renee Mascarinas <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 Rose!

Posted by Rose Peng <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Glenn Weidner <gw...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 for using both.

Cheers,
Glenn

From:	Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	10/25/2016 02:24 PM
Subject:	Re: [VOTE] SystemML New Logo Ideas

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 sounds great to me too.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM, <du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 that sounds great to me.
>
> --
>
> Mike Dusenberry
> GitHub: github.com/dusenberrymw
> LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/mikedusenberry
>
> Sent from my iPhone.
>

> > On Oct 25, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Madison Myers <ma...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I agree!
> > +1 to using both. I think, like you suggested, that using #1 for headers
> > and #4 for other uses sounds fantastic.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Jason Azares <ja...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey guys,
> >>
> >> Branding wise, we also feel that #1 and #4 are the best choices. It's
> great
> >> that we're all on the same page. To answer the question of pros and
> cons of
> >> each logo, here is a quick list:
> >>
> >> Logo 1:
> >>

> >>   - More versatile because of its scalability; We think logo 4 will be
> >>      hard to discern once sized down; Logo 1 looks cleaner in website
> >> headers
> >>      with text
> >>      - Relevant because it has a matrix bracket
> >>      - It's a simplified version of the robot. Think of it as the batman
> >>      signal and the robot is batman.
> >>
> >> Logo 4:
> >>

> >>   - More original because it has a personality
> >>      - Diverse in the actions it can perform because it can move,
> animate,
> >>      and be customized based on intent and use
> >>      - The robot is kind of cute and approachable
> >>
> >> Our suggestion is to use both. Logo 1 is the simplified version of the
> >> robot. Logo 4 is the personification of the logo used to explain
> concepts.
> >>
> >> We'd love to hear your thoughts!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Jason and the design team
> >>
> >> P.S. In general, here are our guidelines for creating a great logo:
> >>
> >>   - *original* - something that stands out from competitors
> >>   - *relevant* - reflects the brand's mission and values
> >>   - *versatile* - look good in black and white, in different colors and
> >>   sizes depending on context (e.g. billboards, websites, t-shirts, toys,
> >>   business cards, etc)
> >>   - *memorable* - easily recognizable everywhere (e.g. mickey mouse,
> nike)
> >>   - *timeless* - not just based on what's currently popular

> Design
> each,
> >> project

Posted by du...@gmail.com.
+1 that sounds great to me.

Posted by Madison Myers <ma...@gmail.com>.
I agree!

--
*Madison J. Myers*
*UC Berkeley, Master of Information & Data Science '17*

*King's College London, MA Political Science '14*
*New York University, BA Political Science '12*

   -
      LinkedIn <http://linkedin.com/in/madisonjmyers>

Re: [VOTE] SystemML New Logo Ideas

Posted by fs...@posteo.de.
> Our suggestion is to use both. Logo 1 is the simplified version of the
> robot. Logo 4 is the personification of the logo used to explain
> concepts.

Sounds great!

Posted by Jason Azares <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

Posted by Abhishek Srivastava <ab...@gmail.com>.
All of them are amazing ... I too will go with Deron and my +1 to #1 given
its minimalistic design .

Regards,
Abhishek

Posted by Acs S <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I like #4 as well.
+1 on #4.

-Arvind

Posted by Berthold Reinwald <re...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 on #4.

From:   Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
To:     dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:   10/21/2016 04:37 PM

Posted by Renee Mascarinas <re...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Morgan
#1 can scale really well and #4 would make a great mascot.  Thanks!

Posted by Morgan Fritz <mo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1 and 4,

Posted by Nakul Jindal <na...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Madison Myers <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Madison Myers <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Anderson <je...@objectadjective.com>.
+1 Mike.

Posted by Niketan Pansare <np...@us.ibm.com>.

From:	Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@systemml.incubator.apache.org
Date:	10/21/2016 12:57 PM
Subject:	Re: [VOTE] SystemML New Logo Ideas

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Azares <ja...@gmail.com>.
I vote for #1

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Thanks for these proposals. For all the options, I'd prefer to remove the
> TM - it's just a little odd for an open source project with no intentions
> to register a trademark. I know, the new Spark logo has it too but it's
> probably a different context, especially since there are discussions to add
> SPARC support in Spark 2.1 ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Matthias

We should not remove the TM, the TM is a best practice based on Apache
Branding policy.

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dexter Lesaca <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 1