Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2019/02/13 16:01:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC3

Hi,

the third release candidate of Apache UIMA Ruta v2.7.0 is ready for voting.
This minor release is not compatible with UIMA v3

Changes RC2 -> RC3
* compiler set to Java 8 (long overdue) [UIMA-5986]
* builds with Java 11 [UIMA-5983]
* reduced javadoc and bundle warnings [UIMA-5982+UIMA-5979]
* fixed a bug of a user [UIMA-5967]
* cleanup files created during tests [UIMA-5980]
* modified readme (and release-notes) [UIMA-5984]
* removed two example projects: ExtensionsExmaple and GermanNovels

Changes RC1 -> RC2
* added more examples in documentation for new features
* refactored XML parsing
* avoided several warnings in build process
* fixed language in jira-report

Major changes in this release:

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
* New language feature: label expressions at actions for directly
assigning/reusing newly created annotations. Example: Document{-> a:T1,
CREATE(T2, "ref" = a)};
* New language feature: new type of rule element for completely optional
match which does not require an existing annotation and therefore also
works at the boundary of a window/document. Example: NUM _{-PARTOF(CW)};
* Type lists can be used as matching condition.
* Initial default value of string and annotations variables is now null.
* Comparison of annotation and annotation list are now supported.
* New configuration parameter 'inferenceVisitors'.
* New configuration parameter 'maxRuleMatches'.
* New configuration parameter 'maxRuleElementMatches'.
* New configuration parameter 'rulesScriptName'.
* Inlined rules as condition are only evaluated if the rule element
match was successful.
* Multiple inlined rule blocks are allowed at one rule element.
* String features with allowed values are supported.
* PlainTextAnnotator supports vertical tabs.
* Various improvements for WORDTABLE.
* Thrown exceptions include script name.
* Fixed values of label for failed matches.
* Fixed inlined rules as condition at wildcards.
* Fixed resetting of annotation-based variables.
* Fixed various bugs of wildcards.
* Fixed CONTAINS condition for annotations overlapping the window.
* Fixed COUNT condition.
* Fixed setting variables by configuration parameter.

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
* Query View support more CAS formats.
* Fixed order of scripts in Applied Rules view.
* Fixed reporting of non-existing problems in editor.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1217/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/tags/ruta-2.7.0

Update site:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-2.7.0-rc3/eclipse-update-site/ruta/

Archive with all sources:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-2.7.0-rc3/ruta-2.7.0-source-release.zip

Overall 55 issues have been fixed for this release (3 with other resolution)
They can be found in the RELEASE_NOTES.html.

... and here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.7.0ruta%20AND%20component%20%3D%20ruta%20ORDER%20BY%20updated%20DESC%2C%20created%20DESC

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Tennenbacher Str. 11
79106 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC3

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
mvn clean install - OK

tested Workbench in Eclipse Photon  - OK

spot checked readme/release-notes/sigs/checksums - OK

issuesFixed has no version - was postponed

[X] +1 OK to release

Peter

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 22. Feb 2019, at 15:40, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:

> You can do this by going to the install-new-software dialog, clicking on "Manage".
> This shows a screen Available Software Sites.  There's an "add" button, and
> there you can add https://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site

I'm not sure, but I had the feeling that Eclipse update sites might support
something like referrals saying that some artifacts are in another repository
which would then be added automatically. At least when installing (non-UIMA)
plugins in the past, I had the feeling that new update sites automagically
appeared in the list.

Anyway, fixing this for the situation of a release candidate probably wouldn't
make much sense - and once released, the artifacts are on the same site anyway,
so it doesn't really matter.

If we accept this as the normal behavior, then it is absolutely fine for me.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC3

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,

re:

    Still cannot install only via
    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-2.7.0-rc3/eclipse-update-site/ruta/
      but have to install UIMA plugins first from
    https://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site/:

The Ruta plugins depend on some of the core UIMA plugins.

The install of Ruta works (for me) without installing the core UIMA plugins first,
if I tell the Eclipse installer that there's an additional site where it can go
to find needed dependent artifacts.

You can do this by going to the install-new-software dialog, clicking on "Manage".
This shows a screen Available Software Sites.  There's an "add" button, and
there you can add https://www.apache.org/dist/uima/eclipse-update-site

     (This action doesn't load anything, it just adds the site as a place
Eclipse can look for new things.)

If this isn't working for you when done this way, that could be something to
investigate.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC3

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Thanks for reviewing :-)

Am 22.02.2019 um 13:35 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:

> Checked signature and hash on sources artifact: OK
>

> Spot checked diff between RC2 and RC3: OK (with comments)
>
>    There are various whitespace-only changes which make files to
>    appear having changes which do not or having more changes than
>    required. Might consider adding checkstyle and auto-save actions
>    in Eclipse e.g. to remove trailing whitespace and to ensure
>    consistent use of spaces vs. tabs.

I have to check that, but I would guess that the changes were maybe made
by checkstyle and autosave.

> Building locally from source ZIP with Java 11: FAILS (not a blocker)
>
>    Getting these when trying when maven-invoker-plugin:2.0.0:run
>    (integration-test) @ ruta-maven-plugin is run (see log files of
>    the individual integration test runs).
>
>    [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
>    [ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
>    [INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
>    [ERROR] Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
>    [ERROR] Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or later.
>    [INFO] 2 errors
>
>    I would suggest to set up a Jenkins Build Job for Ruta using Java 11.

Yes, I will create a Jenkins Job. I wonder why the project built
succesfully with ##java 11 on my machine...

Best,

Peter

[VOTE][RESULT] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC3

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
The vote passes, with 4 +1 votes and no other votes:

+1 Marshall Schor (binding)
+1 Richard Eckart de Castilho (binding)
+1 Peter Klügl (binding)
+1 Viorel Morari (non-binding)

Thanks to everyone for testing and voting!

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.