Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rémi Goyard <rg...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/07 16:04:43 UTC

just suscribed ...

Hi,

  i've jsut suscribed this mailing list 'cause i've planed to translate some
parts of the documentation of Apache 2.0 into French.
  So i want to know if there's some people there that have planned this too.

 regards.

rémi

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Maxime Petazzoni <ma...@bulix.org>.
Hi,

* Astrid 'Kess' Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de> [2005-12-07 17:06:32]:

> On Wednesday 07 December 2005 16:04, Rémi Goyard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >   i've jsut suscribed this mailing list 'cause i've planed to translate
> > some parts of the documentation of Apache 2.0 into French.
> >   So i want to know if there's some people there that have planned this
> > too.
>
> Welcome to the httpd docs project :)
> There have been some effort month ago. But it's silent now from the french
> corner. So it seems, you are the only one at the moment.
>
> Before you start, please read
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html. You'll need a second
> natural french speaker to review your translations. Don't worry about the
> transformation. For the start, just send in some reviewed xml files.

I'm French, too. If you need help to translate and/or review, I'll be
pleased to help you.

Regards,
- Sam

--
Maxime Petazzoni (http://www.bulix.org)
 -- gone crazy, back soon. leave message.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.nom.fr>.
Joshua Slive a écrit :

> That's a totally unhelpful comment.  It seems almost designed to scare
> people away.  Do you want to provide contact info for how to obtain
> more information about all these other files?
>
> Joshua.

These files have been posted (I guess more than once) to this mailing
list. A quick search in the mailing list archive.found this interesting
mail:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-docs&m=108264201219742&w=2

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Jean-François El Fouly wrote:
> Joshua Slive a écrit :
>
>> That's a totally unhelpful comment.  It seems almost designed to scare
>> people away.  Do you want to provide contact info for how to obtain
>> more information about all these other files?
>>
>> Joshua.
>

> OK, the link is broken but for the referenced apache-docs.tar.gz
> - I have it
> - Vincent Deffontaines has it (it's his in the first place) and his
> address is in the email I quoted from the MARC archive
> - Alain B has it
>
> and I don't attach it because
> - it's not mine
> - it's a hefty 1.8 Mb tar.gz archive with 791 files inside (not everyone
> of them is a translation of course) and I would not want to fill
> everybody's mailbox
>
> All files at the root of the documentation tree have been translated.
> Half has not been reviewed neither committed and I guess that would be a
> good starting point for anyone interested to contribute. /vhosts has
> been reviewed and somewhat improved by Alain B and committed.
> ./mod/core.xml (huge ! 125 kb) had been translated and hasn't been
> reviewed nor committed. Plus a few other here and there.
>
> Anyone interested could get this archive from any of us.
>
> Besides, I don't want to scare anyone away. I told why I'm not working
> on this at the moment. AFAIK, Vincent stopped translating because he
> launched his own business. And Alain certainly gave up because the files
> he sent to the ML on 4/10 were committed on 7/11 and only because the
> three of us sent 5 or 6 mails meanwhile asking what was going wrong...
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-docs&m=112106703025003&w=2

Thanks for your more constructive message.  So people wanting to
review/translate can get in touch with you at least to see stuff that
has already been done but not committed.

As far as delays in getting things comitted.  That is always a
possibility in the open source world where everything is done by
volunteers.  This list is generally quite good at picking up on
contributions.  But submitters need to take responsibility for sending
reminders every week or so if they don't see action.

Joshua.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.nom.fr>.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.nom.fr>.
I do apologize / my mistake.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Astrid 'Kess' Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Jean-François El Fouly wrote:

> Astrid 'Kess' Keßler a écrit :
> >Welcome to the httpd docs project :)
> >There have been some effort month ago. But it's silent now from the
> > french corner. So it seems, you are the only one at the moment.
>
> It's silent now because quite a lot of files have been translated,
> reviewed, submitted... and never committed. So the three persons
> involved simply got discouraged and left.

Oh? AFAIR all reviewed files were submitted. Short archive search seems to
ack that. Can you point to some files/discussion which were not committed?

nd
--
"Umfassendes Werk (auch fuer Umsteiger vom Apache 1.3)"
                                          -- aus einer Rezension

<http://pub.perlig.de/books.html#apache2>

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Jean-François El Fouly <je...@elfouly.nom.fr>.

Re: just suscribed ...

Posted by Astrid 'Kess' Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
On Wednesday 07 December 2005 16:04, Rémi Goyard wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   i've jsut suscribed this mailing list 'cause i've planed to translate
> some parts of the documentation of Apache 2.0 into French.
>   So i want to know if there's some people there that have planned this
> too.

Welcome to the httpd docs project :)
There have been some effort month ago. But it's silent now from the french
corner. So it seems, you are the only one at the moment.

Before you start, please read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html. You'll need a second
natural french speaker to review your translations. Don't worry about the
transformation. For the start, just send in some reviewed xml files.

Good luck
 Kess