Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/07/31 15:15:37 UTC

[PMC:Vote] No vetos at all

Due to the past history in this project with vetos being abused, I want to make
it a matter of policy that no one user can block the rest of the team with a
veto.  We are all free to express our discontent with a resolution, but if the
team chooses against your resolution, then you are out of luck.  Vetos have
consistently been used to ram one developer's opinion on the rest of the team,
making cooperation unattainable.

We must learn to work together.

VOTE:

Officially disallow all vetos for technical and policy issues.

+1 from me

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [PMC:Vote] No vetos at all

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> As a member of the PMC - I call on you to retract this vote an the
> grounds that is it invalid from a Avalon procedure point of view (no
> prior discussion was initiated).  Should you continue you will be in
> breach of the Avalon polices and procedures and I will have no choice
> but to call for your resignation as PMC Chair.

Thanks for the threat.  If you want the proposal I can give the proposal.
No problem.  You can stop the threats.  The vote will be reissued after
the proposal.

Re: [PMC:Vote] No vetos at all

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Due to the past history in this project with vetos being abused, I
> want to make
> it a matter of policy that no one user can block the rest of the team
> with a
> veto.  We are all free to express our discontent with a resolution,
> but if the
> team chooses against your resolution, then you are out of luck.  Vetos
> have
> consistently been used to ram one developer's opinion on the rest of
> the team,
> making cooperation unattainable.
>
> We must learn to work together.
>

> VOTE:
>
> Officially disallow all vetos for technical and policy issues.
>
> +1 from me

Berin:

While I respect you persistence in attempting to get around by objection
to your change, I think this has gone far enough.  The principals of
veto rights are an accepted Apache policy.  I refer you to the incubator
pages on policy:

>         Vetos
>
> A code-modification proposal may be stopped dead in its tracks by a -1
> vote by a qualified voter. This constitutes a veto, and it cannot be
> overruled nor overridden by anyone. Vetos stand until and unless
> withdrawn by their casters.
>
> To prevent vetos from being used capriciously, they must be
> accompanied by a technical justification showing why the change is bad
> (opens a security exposure, negatively affects performance, /etc./). A
> veto without a justification is invalid and has no weight.

As a member of the PMC - I call on you to retract this vote an the
grounds that is it invalid from a Avalon procedure point of view (no
prior discussion was initiated).  Should you continue you will be in
breach of the Avalon polices and procedures and I will have no choice
but to call for your resignation as PMC Chair.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

http://avalon.apache.org/sandbox/merlin

Re: [PMC:Vote] No vetos at all

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Berin,
>

>> VOTE:
>>
>> Officially disallow all vetos for technical and policy issues.
>>
>> +1 from me
>

> +1
>
> I'd like to suggest that a vote of -1 is merely a vote that subtracts
> one from the (hoped for)  tally in favor of the vote.  Traditional min
> three in favor to carry outcome still apply I presume.

Alas, Paul.

This motion has been soundly defeated (you are the only +1 for it), and it
has been suggested that we determine on a case by case basis wether a veto
should remain.

Re: [PMC:Vote] No vetos at all

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@ThoughtWorks.net>.
Berin,

> VOTE:
>
> Officially disallow all vetos for technical and policy issues.
>
> +1 from me

+1

I'd like to suggest that a vote of -1 is merely a vote that subtracts
one from the (hoped for)  tally in favor of the vote.  Traditional min
three in favor to carry outcome still apply I presume.

- Paul

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...