Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Martin Knoblauch <sp...@knobisoft.de> on 2011/05/27 14:53:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Weird problerm accessing request headers from tomcat

Hi,

 sorry for the crosspost, but I am not sure where to ask. I am trying to
understand a weird problem accessing HTTP request headers from a jsf page.

 The setup is as follows:

apache1 -> apache2 -> mod_jk -> tomcat

Apache1 is accessible from the Internet and forwards requests to my application
to apache2. I have no direct control over the setup of apache1 and I cannot look
at the configuration. Apache2 (2.0.63 on Linux) is answering requests from the
intranet and forwards them via mod_jk (1.2.30) to two loadbanced tomcats (Linux,
6.0.32).

 Apache1 inserts the following variables into the requests it forwards to
Apache1. Apache1 can see them, I have checked that using cgi-bin/printenv (some
values anonymized):

HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR="aa.bb.cc.dd"
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_HOST="xxx.yyy.net"
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PORT="443"
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_PROTOCOL="https"
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_SERVER="aaa.bbb.ccc"

 If I try to read those variables from the tomcat application using this
facelett code:

        <h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
                value="X_FORWARDED_HOST: #{header['X_FORWARDED_HOST']}" />
        <h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
                value="X_FORWARDED_PROTOCOL: #{header['X_FORWARDED_PROTOCOL']}"
/>
        <h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
                value="X_FORWARDED_PORT: #{header['X_FORWARDED_PORT']}" />
        <h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
                value="X_FORWARDED_FOR: #{header['X_FORWARDED_FOR']}" />
        <h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
                value="X_FORWARDED_SERVER: #{header['X_FORWARDED_SERVER']}" />

Only X_FORWARDED_PORT and X_FORWARDED_PROTOCOL are set. The other three are
empty/null. It seem that somewhere they get dropped between Apache2, mod_jk and
Tomcat.

 Now, I know that _PORT and _PROTOCOL are inserted at Apache1 using
'RequestHeader set X_FORWARDED_PROTOCOL "https"', while I do not know how the
other three are generated. If I add 'RequestHeader set X_FORWARDED_HOST
"xxx.yyy.net"' to the configuration from apache2, the application sees that
header as well. Confused? so am I :-(

Happy weekend

Martin
Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de
www:   http://www.knobisoft.de

[users@httpd] Re: Weird problerm accessing request headers from tomcat

Posted by Martin Knoblauch <sp...@knobisoft.de>.
Hi Martin,

the reverse proxy (gateway) in my case would be "apache1" me thinks. "apache2"
definitely does not use mod_proxy/ProxyPass. It is just loadbalancing two tomcat

instances using "mod_jk".

My problem is (maybe I was not clear) that "apache2" does see the
X-Forwarded-For, X-Forwarded-Host and X-Forwarded-Server headers apparently
added by "apache1", but that those are not visible in the requests reaching
tomcat. If, just as an experiment, I use "RequestHeader set" in the "apache2"
ssl configuration, tomcat sees them. Same is true for the "_PORT" and
"_PROTOCOL" headers that are added on "apache1" via "RequestHeader set".

Did I express myself better this time? There must be some handling differences
between headers added from mod_proxy (if that is used by apache1 I will not find

out before some time next week) and those added by mod_headers.

Thanks

Posted by Martin Knoblauch <sp...@knobisoft.de>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Martin Knoblauch <sp...@knobisoft.de>.
Hi Andre,

 see below. You are not going to hear me slapping my face, but definitely doing
"ahhhh!" :-)

Cheers

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

> [...]

protocol. (*)

But now I see your second post, and your problem is in fact much simpler.

By doing this :
h:outputText style="font: bold 14px sans-serif;"
 >                 value="X_FORWARDED_HOST: #{header['X_FORWARDED_HOST']}" />

what you are actually trying to retrieve, is the content of the HTTP request header
"X_FORWARDED_HOST:" (I guess), but this HTTP header does not exist in the request.
What you are giving as a HTTP header name, is actually what the cgi-bin environment value
name was for your cgi-bin.
Which, as I try to explain at long length above, is not the same thing.

So you get back a null, and you think that the header was not there.
But it is there, only under its real HTTP header name.
Try something like
   value="X_FORWARDED_HOST: #{header['X-Forwarded-for']}" />"

(Noise of self-slap on face ?).

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.