Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Karolina <ka...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/06 18:29:05 UTC

Apache Airflow newsletter - August & September 2021

Apache Airflow newsletter for anyone too busy to read the devlist.

View email in your browser
<https://viewstripo.email/template/9e9300ba-bc20-4de4-b8da-7c15d2759339>

*Apache Airflow **Newsletter*

*What's new in the project?*

* ♥️ August & September 2021 ♥️*

   1.

   Airflow Applies for Outreachy Internships mentoring/sponsoring for next
   round of underrepresented people in IT 💪🏻
   2. [RELEASES]
      -

      Apache Airflow 2.1.4
      -

      Apache Airflow Helm Chart 1.2.0
      -

      Apache Airflow Providers July/August

*🍕🍻 Apache Airflow events 🍕🍻*

*[PAST EVENTS] *

   1.

   Allyship workshop for open source communities
   2.

   Workshops for new contributors:
   -

      Pycon Taiwan
      <https://twitter.com/jarekpotiuk/status/1440619815966691333>
      -

      Mexico Open-Source Contributors Summit
      <https://twitter.com/helenismo/status/1445107694768111631>
      3.

   Contributor Experience Matters talk at ApacheCon at Home

*[FUTURE EVENTS] *

   - [Apache Airflow Community Meetup]* -> TOMORROW Oct 7th*
      - On Thursday October 7th join the Community meetup with Eli Scheele
      and learn about bioinformatics, workflows and data from next generation
      sequencing technologies. (This talk was scheduled for Airflow Summit, but
      Eli couldn't make it)* Add this event to your calendar: *
      *https://bit.ly/2YmqYtO* <https://bit.ly/2YmqYtO>

   - [Workshop for new contributors]
      - Pycon Poland (early December 2021)

*👏 New committers/PMC members 👏*

Brent Bovenzi <https://github.com/bbovenzi>

Ephraim Anierobi <https://github.com/ephraimbuddy>

Elad Kalif <https://github.com/eladkal>

*🥇PRs of the month🥇*

   -

   *Support for Docker Compose 2 for development (lots of bugs to
   workaround)* <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/18725>
   -

   *Convert issue templates into forms*
   <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/17855>

*Things good to know...*

   -

   Implemented Basic EKS Integration #16571
   <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/16571>
   -

   Influx DB provider released
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers-influxdb/stable/index.html>

📄 *Documentation improvements *📄

   - Fine-tuning your scheduler performance
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/concepts/scheduler.html#fine-tuning-your-scheduler-performance>
   - Refactored Installation documentation including “Installing from
   sources”:
   - Airflow
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/installation/installing-from-sources.html>
   , Providers
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers/installing-from-sources.html>
   , Helm
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/helm-chart/stable/installing-helm-chart-from-sources.html>
(Required
   by the ASF Policy)
   - Summary/Index of Core Extensions in Providers
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers/core-extensions/index.html>
   :
   - Auth, Connections, Extra-Links, Writing Logs, Secret backends
   - Best practices update
   <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/best-practices.html#top-level-python-code>
   :
      - Top-Level Python Code, Dynamic DAG generation, Reducing DAG
      complexity

💪🏻 *Ongoing work *💪🏻

   1. We are very close to release 2.2 with a number of improvements COMING
   SOON:
      1. AIP-39 Custom Timetables
      2. AIP-40 Deferrable Tasks
      3. @task.decorator
      4. And a lot of small (but improving Quality of Life) features:
         1. Validation of DAG params
         2. Test connections from UI
         3. Duplicate connections
         4. Next dag run time in DAG timeline
         5. Airflow standalone - run locally (!)
      2. MSSQL support

*📚 Airflow's Digest📚*

Interesting blog posts, articles, podcasts and other materials about Apache
Airflow

   1.

   *How to track metadata using Airflow Cluster Policies and Task Callbacks*
   <https://databand.ai/blog/how-to-track-metadata-with-airflow-cluster-policies-task-callbacks/>
   by Databand
   2.

   *Complex tasks orchestration at Hurb with Apache Airflow*
   <https://medium.com/hurb-engineering/complex-tasks-orchestration-at-hurb-with-apache-airflow-dcb423c4dee6>
   by Hurb

*👓  Newsletter contributors WANTED 👓*

Are you interested in contributing to the Apache Airflow newsletter?

Feel free to jump in on our Slack channel
<https://apache-airflow.slack.com/archives/C01D5AB537G>.

P.S. If you want to see pictures of your cat in the newsletter, let me know.

Next newsletter deadline  ⇨ December 1st

Prepared by mschickensoup <https://github.com/mschickensoup>

Re: Apache Airflow newsletter - August & September 2021

Posted by Karolina <ka...@gmail.com>.
Cat pictures and Airflow for the win! ;)

W dniu śr., 6.10.2021 o 20:55 Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@apache.org>
napisał(a):

> Came here for cat pictures.. But the news is great too! Thanks Karolina :)
>
>> --
Karolina Rosół

Re: Apache Airflow newsletter - August & September 2021

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Thanks Karolina!