Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Murali K Gandrakota <mu...@in.ibm.com> on 2009/06/12 07:00:21 UTC

Queries on Apache Directory Server

Hi,

I have some queries on using C-library SDK against ADS 1.5.4.
1. Does apache provide its own C-SDK for ldap programming?
2. If not, what if we use SDK's of Tivoli or Mozilla or Sunone. How easy
is the process of integration or porting.Is it a seamless activity?
3. Finally, what about the support for VLV controls, paging.
I heard that 1.5.5 does have support for VLV .When can we expect an
official stable release build of 1.5.5.

Regards,
Murali

Re: Queries on Apache Directory Server

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Murali K Gandrakota wrote:

first, don't cross post to dev *and* users mailing list. Pick one list,
probably users.
> I have some queries on using C-library SDK against ADS 1.5.4.
> 1. Does apache provide its own C-SDK for ldap programming?

No. You have plenty of them out there, and I don't think we need another
one.
> 2. If not, what if we use SDK's of Tivoli or Mozilla or Sunone. How easy
> is the process of integration or porting.Is it a seamless activity?

I don't understand the question. What do you want to integrate or port ?
> 3. Finally, what about the support for VLV controls, paging.
> I heard that 1.5.5 does have support for VLV .When can we expect an
> official stable release build of 1.5.5.

1.5.5 have a support for Paging and VLV, controls but it has to be
double checked, as it's preliminary work at this point.
Regarding 1.5.5, there are still a handfull of issues we want to fix (57
issues), accordingly to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER/fixforversion/12313148

We don't have any date, so far. End of june ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Queries on Apache Directory Server

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de>.
Murali K Gandrakota wrote:
> I have some queries on using C-library SDK against ADS 1.5.4.
> 1. Does apache provide its own C-SDK for ldap programming?
> 2. If not, what if we use SDK's of Tivoli or Mozilla or Sunone. How easy
> is the process of integration or porting.Is it a seamless activity?

There is no porting effort. LDAP is standardized on the wire; no special
driver or library is needed for different LDAP servers. You can use any
LDAP client library/SDK with any LDAP server.

For instance, all the SDKs you mention above perfectly work with ApacheDS.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan