Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by W F <am...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/19 17:58:02 UTC

Two Random Ports in Private port range

Hi All,

I did a web search of the archives (hope I looked in the right place) and
could not find a request like this.

When Cassandra is running, it seems to create to random tcp listen ports.

For example: "50378 and 58692", "49952, 52792".

What are are these for and is there documentation regarding this?

Sorry if this is already in the archive!

Thanks ~A

Re: Two Random Ports in Private port range

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
If you've seen Lord of the Rings and can remember the scene where Frodo has to pass the spider you will be well equipped to understand JMX ports.

The ports are randomly opened…
"A common problem with RMI and firewall is that the JMX default agent will not let you specify which port to use to export the server's RMI stub. "
https://blogs.oracle.com/jmxetc/entry/troubleshooting_connection_problems_in_jconsole

Cheers
p.s. In the analogy above you are Frodo, not the Spider.

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com