Posted to easyant-dev@incubator.apache.org by "Purkayastha, Siddhartha" <Si...@ca.com> on 2011/03/22 16:07:42 UTC

EasyAnt Build

Hi All -

I was looking at EasyAnt after a long time today.

While we are discussing infrastructural and legal issues, I thought of bringing up a few technical points / questions:

1. Is there a place which we can develop as developer's guide? I guess it may be very helpful for interested developers to work on EasyAnt. To start with: documenting the set up and build process, a design description - which we could gradually develop over time? Is there something like that already I dont know of ..  :-). I think a wiki was mentioned in some previous discussion. Can we try to make it a repository of developer resources?

2. The EasyAnt build on head now seems to have a problem. I am not sure if I have the ant dependencies on my setup correct, so did not try to make any fix. Import.java, line 166 is using an @Override annotation whereas the method is not a superclass inheritance. This is causing the build to fail. I tried running ant clean dist and easyant with a preexisting ant 1.8.2 install.

3. I tried to bootstrap the build of the current version on HEAD using EasyAnt 0.8 but, that did not work.I am wondering given that EasyAnt is dependent on Ant, is it really worthwhile to build easyant using itself? Even if we are using EasyAnt, internally it is still Ant. The EasyAnt build itself will be much easier to understand then.

4. Currently, after running the EasyAnt build, I see three directories being created inside target: dist, distribution, and distributions. Other than dist, the other two directories are empty. Should we be retaining all three? Are the three meant to serve different purposes?

Thanks,
Siddhartha

RE: EasyAnt Build

Posted by "Purkayastha, Siddhartha" <Si...@ca.com>.
I feel the same way about dev 'tips & trips' and similar stuff - being a better fit in wiki.

Though - I think we can wait before we plan for one.

We will probably not have much use of it right now.

Siddhartha

________________________________

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.

Re: EasyAnt Build

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: EasyAnt Build

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
[off topic warning]

On 2011-03-23, Purkayastha, Siddhartha wrote:

> Please see comments inline in bold.

Apache mailing lists are set up to strip or even reject HTML parts from
mails, there is never going to be anything bold or colored.  Unless your
mailer has been developed by people old enough to know that in Usenet
times bold worked like *this* and italics like /that/ that is.

Stefan

RE: EasyAnt Build

Posted by "Purkayastha, Siddhartha" <Si...@ca.com>.
IMHO, it is okay to have documentation that we are shipping to be less likely to change between the time of two releases. For example, architecture, design, tutorials, reference documentation etc. But, may be for development tips, how to build (bootstrap using easyant or simply ant), any pointers of setting up IDE or other dev help / notes, a wiki may be better. Only my thoughts, though I do not feel very strongly about this.

Re: EasyAnt Build

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.