Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de> on 2011/11/15 20:03:12 UTC

Phing integration

We are currently working on a deployment script written in phing. This
script will be execute by a ci-server. A "nice to have"-feature is the
logging of all build-tasks. I've found nothing about a phing task like
"log". What du you think about a integration of Log4Php in Phing?

Phing has a good documentation and the implementation of a "special"-tag
looks easy.
(http://www.phing.info/docs/guide/stable/chapters/ExtendingPhing.html)

Regards,

Florian

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Florian Semm <Fl...@gmx.de>.
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:36:26 +0100
> Von: Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>
> An: Log4PHP Dev <lo...@logging.apache.org>
> Betreff: Re: Phing integration

> On 15 November 2011 20:03, Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > We are currently working on a deployment script written in phing. This
> > script will be execute by a ci-server. A "nice to have"-feature is the
> > logging of all build-tasks. I've found nothing about a phing task like
> > "log". What du you think about a integration of Log4Php in Phing?
> >
> > Phing has a good documentation and the implementation of a "special"-tag
> > looks easy.
> > (http://www.phing.info/docs/guide/stable/chapters/ExtendingPhing.html)
>
> I think all the best. It would definitely be a nice thing to have.
>
> Are you interested in creating an initial version? I am here if you
> need any assistance.
>
> Regards,
> Ivan

i will implement a prototyp and create a github project this weekend

regards

florian

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.
Am 21.11.2011 11:16, schrieb Christian Grobmeier:
>> hey,
>>
>> i think i made it. there is now a<record>  - tag in Phing avaiable, with the
>> same functionality like the<record>  - tag of ant
>> (http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/recorder.html)
>>
>> i also have created a git-hub repository:
>> https://github.com/floriansemm/Phing-Log
> Wow, that was quick!
>
> What are your plans with it?
>
> If you would like to donate it to the log4php proejct we'll need two things:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/

i have added a apache-license-file to my github-probject.

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 November 2011 11:12, Florian Semm <Fl...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> May I contact the guys from Phing and notify them about the new Phing-Tag?
>>
>> Maybe the tag become a core-feature.
>
> Of course you may. Go ahead an let us know what they think.

+1

We will gladly add a link to our main page section of users.

Cheers!!

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Florian Semm <Fl...@gmx.de>.
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 11:16:01 +0100
> Von: Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>
> An: Log4PHP Dev <lo...@logging.apache.org>
> Betreff: Re: Phing integration

> > hey,
> >
> > i think i made it. there is now a <record> - tag in Phing avaiable, with
> the
> > same functionality like the <record> - tag of ant
> > (http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/recorder.html)
> >
> > i also have created a git-hub repository:
> > https://github.com/floriansemm/Phing-Log
>
> Wow, that was quick!
>
> What are your plans with it?
>
> If you would like to donate it to the log4php proejct we'll need two
> things:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/
>
> One is your individual contributor license, which tells us that we are
> allowed to distribute your code.
> The second is a software grant, which allows us to use your phing task.
>
> If you want to donate, we must all discuss how we want to proceed with
> code like this task - it is not really log4php core code, but does not
> fit anywhere else. Should we open some kind of subproject for this?
> We'll move this over to general@logging to get some feedback from the
> other guys too.
>
> Anyway, it seems you are very engaged with log4php. I really appreciate
> it.
>
> Have I already sent this documents to you?
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html
>
> Usually ASF projects do not add people to the committers list very
> quickly. We wait some time period to see if the contributor is really
> committed to the project and then we discuss and invite (or not). This
> means that even when you donate the code, we might not invite you to
> join the log4php team immediately. But of course, it is in our own
> interest to increase the log4php team.
>
> That being said, the phing task - donated or not - is great stuff!
> Thank you very much for doing it!
>
> Cheers,
> Christian
>

> > have a nice week!
> >
> > florian
>

> --
> http://www.grobmeier.de
> https://www.timeandbill.de

May I contact the guys from Phing and notify them about the new Phing-Tag?

Maybe the tag become a core-feature.

Regards

Florian

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.

> Wow, that was quick!
>
> What are your plans with it?
>
> If you would like to donate it to the log4php proejct we'll need two things:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/
>
> One is your individual contributor license, which tells us that we are
> allowed to distribute your code.
> The second is a software grant, which allows us to use your phing task.

to add the apache licence is no problem. well...i think my "project" is
hosted on github, so everybody has the grant to use it. ;) if you need
explicit my agreement, you'll get it.

> If you want to donate, we must all discuss how we want to proceed with
> code like this task - it is not really log4php core code, but does not
> fit anywhere else. Should we open some kind of subproject for this?
> We'll move this over to general@logging to get some feedback from the
> other guys too.

the phing task is between to projects: log4php and phing. but it's more
a log4php-subproject than a phing-subproject, became of the
hard-dependencies to the logging-lib.

is my Log4phpBundle for symfony a subproject too?
(https://github.com/floriansemm/Log4PhpBundle)

> Anyway, it seems you are very engaged with log4php. I really appreciate it.
>
> Have I already sent this documents to you?
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/getinvolved.html

yes you have.

> Usually ASF projects do not add people to the committers list very
> quickly. We wait some time period to see if the contributor is really
> committed to the project and then we discuss and invite (or not). This
> means that even when you donate the code, we might not invite you to
> join the log4php team immediately. But of course, it is in our own
> interest to increase the log4php team.

there is no reason for hurry. to create patches works fine. but it would
be great to become a committer.

Re: Phing integration

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.

--