Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by re...@gmx.net on 2009/03/26 19:15:20 UTC

Indexing arbitrary RDF resources

Hey, all!

I'm planning a project where I want to write software that takes an RDF class and uses that information to dynamically support indexing and faceted searching of resources of that type. This would (as I imagine it) function with dynamic fields in all required data types and multiplicities and a mapping from properties to field names.
The project will be part of the open CMS software drupal which already has a working Solr integration module. You can find details about my project idea here:
http://groups.drupal.org/node/20589

Has something like this already been done or thought of by anyone her? Does anyone here have hints or remarks regarding the idea?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
--
Neu: GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate + Telefonanschluss für nur 17,95 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K11308T4569a

Re: Indexing arbitrary RDF resources

Posted by Renaud Delbru <re...@deri.org>.
Hi,

Here in DERI [1], we are working on an extension for Lucene / Solr to
handle RDF data and structured queries. The engine is currently in use
in the Sindice [2] search engine. We are planning to release our
extension, called SIREn (for Semantic Information Retrieval Engine), as
open source in the following month.

The approach with dynamic fields could work, but it has strong
limitations when dealing with a large number of fields. Among them, it
will lead to data duplication in the dictionary (the dictionary will
become quickly very large since multiple fields / predicate can have
identical terms) and it will be very inefficient to ask queries across
all the fields. Our work overcomes such problems. We are also currently
working on supporting join queries among entities / documents that are
not of the most simple kind.

If you want to know more, you can contact our team (or send me directly
an email). Maybe, it could be a good idea to join our efforts.

[1] http://www.deri.ie/
[2] http://www.sindice.com/
Renaud Delbru