Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Steve La Porta <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/12 16:38:26 UTC

Open Office Writer

Good morning. I learning how to navigate through the tracking changes/red-lining feature of Open Office Writer.

I am editing a long project and want to become familiar with it. I am having two initial problems and hoping to learn solutions.

1) I went into the preferences and changed the font color for editing from the default red to dark blue. The edits I made were shown in dark blue, however, after re-opening the file the next day, the edits all appeared in lime green? Do you have any suggestions for maintaining the color of choice?

2) I find the underscoring of words, phrases, and punctuations to be visually distracting -- especially in the context of strike through edits. In short, there are horizontal lines everywhere on the page. Is there a means of undoing the underscore feature?

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,

Steve

_______________________________

Steve La Porta
Albany, CA

*Drummer/Percussionist and Instructor
*Drum and Percussion Repair
*Marketing & Advertising
*Writer/Strategist/Copy Editor

stevejlaporta@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/stephen.la.porta

Home: 510-525-9612
Mobile: 510-292-7080

Re: Open Office Writer

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 07:38 12/04/2014 -0700, Steve La Porta wrote:
>1) I went into the preferences and changed the font color for
>editing from the default red to dark blue. The edits I made were
>shown in dark blue, however, after re-opening the file the next day,
>the edits all appeared in lime green? Do you have any suggestions
>for maintaining the color of choice?

It should happen naturally, I think.  But note that the colour scheme
for changes is maintained in the software, not in the document.  So
if you changed the color from dark blue to lime green after saving
and closing the document, the new colours would show when you
re-opened it.  If you send such a document to others, they will see
their choice of colours, not yours.  And I'm assuming that the
colours changes are saved in the OpenOffice user profile, so colours
will (potentially) even be different for different users on the same
system and using the same installation of OpenOffice.

Incidentally, Microsoft Word is notorious for shuffling colours in
Track Changes.  Are you perhaps (unwisely) saving your document in
Microsoft Word format?  Could that be the cause of problems?

>2) I find the underscoring of words, phrases, and punctuations to be
>visually distracting -- especially in the context of strike through
>edits. In short, there are horizontal lines everywhere on the page.
>Is there a means of undoing the underscore feature?

I'm not sure what you are seeing here: surely Underlined and
Underlined:double are simply options you can choose to mark
changes?  If you have chosen Strikethrough you should not see any
additional underlining.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker