Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/01 20:23:44 UTC

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

On 4/30/12 11:16 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On 04/30/2012 12:47 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

>>> Honestly spoken, I don't know if this will work.
>>>
>>> Of course it could be easy and fast to think about a directory structure
>>> that will work also for a AOO 5.0 release.
>>>
>>> However, I doubt that we will have the time to make the DL logic work this
>>> way, too.
>>>
>>> As I've no idea how close we are from the first public download of AOO 3.4 I
>>> wouldn't do bigger changes now.

>>> The DL logic for 3.4.1 can be the same as for 3.4.0. There shouldn't be big
>>> changes. For further releases see above.
>>>
>>> Juergen is already OK to setup the structure like it was in the old project,
>>> so that the need changes to the DL logic is minimal.
>>
>> It seems the easiest way to go to me too.
>>
>> Roberto
>
> OK, I need some clarification here -- again.
>
> I am to understand by the above statements by Marcus and Roberto that
> the directory structure for 3.4 will be the same as it is for 3.3, but....
>

> we will have a *different* structure on www.apache.org/dist? Also, OK,
> we just need some awareness.
>
> So -- can someone tell me what's what here.

I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.

That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including
the checksum files) for each downloadable file.

And it will work for future releases as well.

I have agreed to use the same structure as for 3.3 but I also have said
that I skip the version in the localized folder because we already have
it in the path. No direct feedback on this and I took it as common
consensus.

But now I am confused. We should clarify the structure before I will
start the upload tomorrow.

I haven't looked in the details behind the download scripts and don't
know how much work it is to adapt them to a new directory structure.
That means I will use the structure that will work for now.

Juergen

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/01/2012 10:27 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:

>>> I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
>>> in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.
>>>
>>> That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
>>> little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including
>>> the checksum files) for each downloadable file.
>>

>> Maybe it will look more clean but thats not important. Normally the average
>> user should not be pointed to a mirror to find her/his favorite file. For
>> this we have the user-friendly and one-click-download webpages.
>>
>> For the former OOo release the structure was very good and also scalable for
>> new releases and languages. And it is much easier to upload everything into
>> a flat structure. To have every version, platform and language in its own
>> directory is much more complicated to handle in the DL scripts.
>>

> One difference between how did it before now:  On the Apache mirrors
> will only keep the most recent release.  We don't keep the complete
> history of previous releases, not even the history of Apache releases.

That's how it worked (more or less) also in the old OOo project. There
we had for every language and platform the most recent version and the
older were moved to the archive.

>    (Those go to archive.apache.org).  So when we do a new release, we
> need to remove the old one from the Apache servers.  So have versions

Thats fine.

> as directory roots, instead of languages as roots, makes this a lot
> easier.

Also this is fine. We can take this into account when we rework the DL
logic to support a different directory structure.

> Of course a script can do anything.

Of course, so please, no killer argumentS. ;-)

Marcus

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/02/2012 08:54 AM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> On 5/2/12 12:23 AM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:

>>> I can't really see a flat structure in the old directory tree. One
>>> directory for each language etc.
>>
>> OK, maybe it was not the right wording and my thinking not correct.
>>
>> So, your idea is the following:
>>
>> <root path>/ooo/<version>/source/...
>>
>> It seems there is not other ASF project with releases for specific
>> platforms *and* languages (otherwise please point me to the project), so
>> maybe we can stick with this and divide only into platform-specifc
>> directories.
>>
>> Maybe we can agree on the following structure for a AOO 3.5 release?
>>
>> <root path>/dist/incubator/ooo/<version>/src/...
>>

> why should we add a further indirection "bin" here? Keep it simple!
> Either we split in different platform directories or we can use one for
> all but not both.

Because with your initial path structure proposal I thought you want to
be more Apache-compliance. Other projects have this setup.

Of course we don't need to copy this. :-)

> We will discuss the future structure in new thread asap to have enough
> time to adapt the scripts.

OK

Marcus

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/02/2012 09:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

>>> Thanks again for keeping things as they were for the time being.
>>>

>> Hi all,
>>
>>  We've loaded the current files, please let us know when youupload more
>> files, so that we can update the rest in a timely manner.
>

> Roberto--
>
> Hi. Well my test index page worked well with my linux setup for client
> download -- i.e. from
>
> files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz/download
>
> so happy so far. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Roberto

--
====

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/02/2012 09:48 PM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM, Kay Schenk<ka...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> On 05/02/2012 03:04 AM, J�rgen Schmidt wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> to sum up this longer thread and the structure how I will upload the bits
>>>
>>> Source release reflecting a future directory structure already:
>>>
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.tar.gz
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.zip
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/...
>>>
>>> Binary releases keeping the old structure:
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/stable/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ar/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/cs/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/de/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-BG/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/es/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/fr/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/gl/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/hu/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/it/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ja/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/nl/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/pt-BR/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ru/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/zh-CN/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/zh-TW/3.4.0/...
>>>

>>> The directories will include all files (including the checksum files)
>>> for all platforms and the language packs. The SDK is available in en-US
>>> only and o only in ...files/stable
>>>
>>> Juergen
>>
>> Thanks again for keeping things as they were for the time being.
>>

> Hi all,
>
>   We've loaded the current files, please let us know when youupload more
> files, so that we can update the rest in a timely manner.

Roberto--

Hi. Well my test index page worked well with my linux setup for client
download -- i.e. from

files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz/download

so happy so far. :)

> Please note that the 3.4.0 folder is "staged" on sourceforge, which means
> that directly links to files in it will work, but visitors
> browsing the files will not see them.
>
> By the way, is someone coordinating with MirrorBrain maintainers to manage
> updates to serve the "Look for updates" function?
>
> Roberto
>

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>>   And life has a funny way of helping you out
>>   Helping you out."
>>                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

Posted by Roberto Galoppini <rg...@geek.net>.

--
====

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/02/2012 06:00 PM, schrieb Juergen Schmidt:
> On Wednesday, 2. May 2012 at 17:02, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>
>> On May 2, 2012, at 3:04 AM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> to sum up this longer thread and the structure how I will upload the bits
>>>
>>> Source release reflecting a future directory structure already:
>>>
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.tar.bz2
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.tar.gz
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/aoo-3.4.0-incubating-src.zip
>>> .../incubator/ooo/3.4.0/source/...
>>>
>>> Binary releases keeping the old structure:
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/stable/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ar/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/cs/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/de/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-BG/3.4.0/...
>>>

>> Do you mean en-GB?
> Yes, I hope I have no real typo. Have to check it when I am at home. In the subway right now...
>
> Juergen
>>
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/es/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/fr/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/gl/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/hu/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/it/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ja/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/nl/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/pt-BR/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/ru/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/zh-CN/3.4.0/...
>>> .../incubator/ooo/files/localized/zh-TW/3.4.0/...
>>>

>>> The directories will include all files (including the checksum files) for all platforms and the language packs. The SDK is available in en-US only and o only in ...files/stable

Looks good from my point of view.

>> Thanks for all of your hard work as Release Manager!

Yes, also my side big thanks for your work.

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/01/2012 01:58 PM, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1. May 2012 at 22:10, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
>> <jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:

>>> I am currently also confused. I would still prefer my proposed structure
>>> in the beginning of this thread if it is possible.
>>>

>> Your very first suggestion would entail *really* major changes right now,
>> so this is the LEAST of my favorite!
>>

>>> That would allow us to easy add further platforms and keep the bits a
>>> little bit separated. Think about 100 languages and 5 files (including the
>>> checksum files) for each downloadable file.
>>>
>>> And it will work for future releases as well.
>>>
>>> I have agreed to use the same structure as for 3.3 but I also have said
>>> that I skip the version in the localized folder because we already have it
>>> in the path. No direct feedback on this and I took it as common consensus.
>>>

>> OK, I don't understand this last bit.
> Well I gave a very clear example how I planned to organize the bits on dist based on a structure that came from Marcus . And this was slightly different than the former structure but closer to my proposal. And no clear veto or response so I took it as accepted.
>>
>> Please again take a look at to the current setup on SourceForge:
>>
>> <DL url>/files/localized/<language-code>/3.4.0/<packages>
>>
>> It would simplify our rollout if we could just stick with the current
>> structure on SourceForge. We will be using that as our primary DL mirror
>> for clients.
>>

> We will do that but in general the dist folder should be our reference for all mirrors.

hmmm...OK, I see what you're saying...someone is coordinating this with
SourceForge I take it? Or...what needs to be done?

A thousand THANK YOUs for leaving things as they are!

>> Marcus's alternate suggestion of :
>>
>> <root-path>/files/3.4.0/...
>> <root-path>/files/3.4.1/...
>> <root-path>/files/3.5.0/...
>>
>> seems like a good option to me as well, and you responded to this. But, the
>> least amount of change -- i.e. keeping the structure we have -- is really
>> the best at this point in terms of getting something done in a reasonable
>> time. Maybe we could discuss alternatives for *after* 3.4 in the future? We
>> are planning on a retool of the DL script after this, and incorporating
>> easier ways to deal with changes like this are high on the priority list.
>>
>> Right now, we are planning on using SF for the majority of downloads --
>> typical clients -- and that structure -- good or bad -- is already in
>> place, and the test DL script is working based on this.
>>

> taken and we will keep the old structure
>>
>> We will probably only use the Apache "dist" system for source.
>> So, in terms of how you setup things there I don't really care, but, of
>> course, we need information about that.
>>
> well we should care about it, the dist folder is the place where releases are provided and where the release manager have to upload the bits.
> And I would have preferred to have a clean structure from the beginning.
>
> For me the future and future releases are more important than older versions. But it is of course good to have the older versions available.
>>

>> As silly as this probably seems to you, could we PLEASE just stick with the
>> current structure for now?
>>
> Yes, we will go with the old structure for now

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I will start a new thread on the SourceForge, Apache "dist" business
though there may already be an awareness here.

> Juergen
>>

>>> But now I am confused. We should clarify the structure before I will start
>>> the upload tomorrow.
>>>
>>> I haven't looked in the details behind the download scripts and don't know
>>> how much work it is to adapt them to a new directory structure. That means
>>> I will use the structure that will work for now.
>>>
>>> Juergen

>> --
>> MzK
>>
>> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>> And life has a funny way of helping you out
>> Helping you out."
>> -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed directory structure on dist

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.