Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/07 06:26:21 UTC

How do I generate/view the site docs, when developing?

Hi,

I'm working on some site docs changes, as part of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-3480

How do I build the docs, so that I can view them locally and make sure they are right? It used to be that I could "./gradlew siteDocsTar" and then view the created website. But it appears that with the recent redesign, that the local website now refers to javascript and server-side-include files that are not part of the github repo.

Here is what I see when I open the html file in web browser
http://imgur.com/a/njsU8

Here is what I see when I use a web server that supports Server Side Includes, and load the local "website":
http://imgur.com/a/ce5Gc

Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks,
-James

Re: How do I generate/view the site docs, when developing?

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hello James,

There are two options: you can setup a local apache server to render the
docs (what I did when did the refactoring) or had some manual edits, which
are summarized here (see Kafka Website Repository):

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Contributing+Website+Documentation+Changes

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang